Ferroli boiler leaking from vertical flue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I wonder if anyone can help me with a problem i have

I have a Ferroli combi condensing boiler (domi compact 30, i think) installed in the garage as part of a complete replacement of central heating system just over 2 years ago. System has been fine, but several months ago i noticed a small amount of water had dripped out of the bottom of the boiler. I kept an eye on it & it did leak now & again. I have a service contract with Ferroli & as the annual service was due i'd get the engineer to look at it when he did the service. He checked the boiler & told me it was coming from the vertical flue. he replaced the vertical adaptor as it was damaged (he said probably from install).

unfortunately it still occasionally leaks after heavy rain & sometimes for no reason at all when dry. Now that winter has kicked in it is happening every day. We have the heating off overnight & in the morning there is about 3 tablespoons of water in the bucket i keep under the boiler, then as the boiler is on for the rest of the day there is no more water, so i believe it is condensation.

The rather worrying thing is that the bottom of the boiler is getting quite rusty & some of the solenoids have white stuff on them like "scale". i think if this continues it will only be a matter of time before something fails.

Ferroli say they can't do any more as they only cover the boiler & i should go back to my installers for them to correct this problem. Only problem there is the installers have moved to London & have no interest in returning to the west mids to take a look.

I am trying to find someone local who is familiar with Ferroli flues who can help, Ferroli put me in touch with 2 local(ish) companies but neither wanted to take the job on. so i'm a bit stuck, any ideas, cheers

Sponsored Links
sounds like your flue is most likly leaking from weather coller, does it go through flat or pitched roof.

depending on how the flue is sealed, usually a lead slate, the wind can lift or move it and can cause water to leak through roof and run down length of flue. that could be it.

Sponsored Links
Thanks again, sloppytom

The flue is joined to the roof with a "ferroli roof slate" which is basically a flexible metal (poss aluminum?) sheet, as far as i know its a straight replacement for a roof tile. I don't think that's leaking as the water is coming down the inside of the flue not the outside.

I think i'm going to have the brave the winter weather :( & get on the roof & have a good check of the exterior of the flue

Any luck with sorting this out as i am not having the same problem. Have fallen out with builder so i am unable to get the plumbers details.

Same problem as above. Random water under the ferroli boier, not a lot but enough to be a problem.

Any advise would be great as checked all over it and there is no water on the outside of the boiler.

Thanks

Nope, no luck with sorting this out....still leaks.. I've re-sealed the storm/weather collar again to no avail. the orignal installers refuse to take a look so fell out with them big time. Had 2 independent plumbers look at it & were both reluctant to "touch someone elses work" so refused to work on it.
Basically i'm happy to let the thing rot now as at the end of my teather.
I think a complete new flue would solve it as i believe it hasn't been installed correctly but i am unwilling to spend the money on it now for several reasons: the cost involved, it may not solve the problem but also if anything goes wrong with the corroded components inside the boiler then that would be more money to be spent. For true piece of mind i will be having the boiler ripped out in the summer & replaced for a Worcester Bosch or Vallient instead.
The only way round the leaks i've found is to have the boiler on all the time in the winter which solves the condensation problem, however does nothing for the rain issue.
My advise for you would be to get a installer familar with ferroli kit to look at it, but there does not seem to be many about.
Best of luck

I know it's been a while since you posted this but wondered what you did in the end? I have the same problem, boiler was fitted in 2007, ferroli won't accept any responsibility as they say it's installer fault. Installer says it's wear and tear (2 and half years later).
Ferroli engineer says the job needs to be done by general maintenance men, but they say coz it's attached to the boiler they won't do it.
The outside has been resealed by my father in law in case it was coming in when raining, but has made no difference. The flue runs across the whole of the flat to get out so means the ceiling will need to come down.
No one seems to be able to help us with this, it's making our flat smell damp now and I'm worried it's going to ruin the boiler.

Can anyone help? I just want it fixed so I can decorate and stop stressing about it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back