Sockets in Lath and Plaster Wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have read the previous posts on this subject. After seeing crumbly state and thickness of our plaster I decided that best approach would be to cur a hole and attach metal box to a stud for secure fixing.

However, with the metal box in place, I see that all of the knock-out holes in the metal box (into which the cables enter) are either partially obscured by either the stud or plaster!

Should I notch the stud to enable the cables to enter the metal box from behind?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Don't see why not, as long as it's not going to compromise the strength of the stud.

metal boxes also have knockouts in top, bottom and sides

it is easier to knock them out and fit the grommet before fixing

a double socket box will overlap most studs

Sponsored Links
Thanks for replies. Hadn't seen this problem mentioned here before.

Wanted to notch studs so that cables won't be compressed and unmovable. Fortunately, 25mm boxes fit snugly and I won't have to chisel out any of the studs.

Fortunately, 25mm boxes fit snugly and I won't have to chisel out any of the studs.

Check depth if using flatplate (metal) type sockets and switches. Some designs have far deeper 'guts'than standard white faced units.

25mm boxes with cabling space and flatplates can be a struggle.

By the sounds of it, you have just chopped out the plaster and laths on the stud, and I'm surprised that gives you 25mm. If you need to go deeper, then chopping out 5mm from the stud isn't a problem.

As for not getting to the holes, the extra depth should allow you to access the side knockouts which will now be part in to the void of the wall. The other alternative is to move the box left or right on the stud and have part of it's back in the void rather than all fixed (and obscured) to the stud.

Thanks Chri5

Yes, indeed, the the plaster in one room is so thick that a 25mm box could be fitted without chiseling the studs! We did not consider the use of flat plates - we would be happy with standard ones but I think it could be worth having the option in the future to replace them with flat plates.

Looks like I might have to chop a bit off the studs in the new year!

Merry Christmas to all!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back