Adding a plug socket.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I am wanting to add a single plug socket about half to two thirds way up a stud partition wall. Reason for this is I am wanting to mount my small LCD tv on this wall and don't want cables trailing down from the tv to the existing socket on that wall (directly below where I want the new socket). Existing socket is part of the ring main and is not feeding another spur. Basically, I am just wanting to sound out my plan of action to see if it's correct.

1. Cut a hole for the dry lining back box.

2. Remove the existing metal back box and knock out another entry hole for the new cable. Whilst removed it may also help in getting the cable down the stud wall.

3. Feed 2.5mm twin and earth from the new back box down the stud wall (hopefully there will be no noggins, wall width is only 1.5 metres). And pull out where the existing metal back box was.

4. Feed cable through new knockout hole and re-fit back box and make connections at both ends.

Does this sound ok?

I was hoping to take a feed from somewhere in the loft, but they only seems to be lighting circuits up there.

Sponsored Links
Sounds fine to me but remember to install a grommet in the knockout of the metal backbox and to sleeve the bare earth conductor with green&yellow sleeving

Remember to keep the new socket directly above the existing one to ensure the cables stay within the safe zone.

Sounds good, put a grommet on the new knockout on the metal backbox so you dont damage the new cable when you pull it through.

Sponsored Links
What about the aerial cable/socket?

I'm bringing the co-ax down from the loft, down the stud wall and out behind the tv straight into the tv. Not bothering with a faceplate. I'll then have one continuous run from the sky box downstairs in the living room to the tv in the bedroom.

I wouldn't remove the metal KO box - You will damage the plaster of the wall, especialy when you try to replace it with cables top and bottom.

You can remove a knock out from inside the box. Carefully tap with an old terminal screwdrier on the edge of the knockout.

What sort of TV is this? A decent sized LCD or Plasma will give a ****e picture if using RF from the skybox.

I would suggest running an S-Video lead and Stereo Audio lead from the sky box to the new TV, and also run the RF coax. Use the RF coax for the magic eye, but nothing else ;)

The RF outout of the skybox really is not good enough for a larger screen.

I wouldn't remove the metal KO box - You will damage the plaster of the wall, especialy when you try to replace it with cables top and bottom.

You can remove a knock out from inside the box. Carefully tap with an old terminal screwdrier on the edge of the knockout.

It will just make it easier getting to the twin and earth in the wall. Existing cables already come in from the top knockout, was going to route the spur through a side knockout.

What sort of TV is this? A decent sized LCD or Plasma will give a s***te picture if using RF from the skybox.

I would suggest running an S-Video lead and Stereo Audio lead from the sky box to the new TV, and also run the RF coax. Use the RF coax for the magic eye, but nothing else ;)

The RF outout of the skybox really is not good enough for a larger screen.

It's only a small 19" LCD (although may buy a newer 22/24 sometime in the future). No point in routing SVHS and audio as it would be a mare to do.

Well, done it this evening. Had one problem, there was a noggin in the stud partition, between the new socket and the existing. Luckily there was a hole in the middle where the existing aerial cable was routed, so with the help of my mobile phone I managed to feed the new twin and earth through the hole.

I did remove telephone socket back box (next to the existing power socket) to help me locate the new cable and feed it though a new knockout hole.

Also discovered there is a vertical 4 x 2 right in the centre of the wall where i want to hang the tv. Should give better structural support for the bracket.

ok, I gotta ask.. how exactly did your mobile help you pull a cable in?

I know the new generation of mobiles are supposed to be all singing and dancing but usefull as a cable rod is going one step too far i think... :)

ok, I gotta ask.. how exactly did your mobile help you pull a cable in?

I know the new generation of mobiles are supposed to be all singing and dancing but usefull as a cable rod is going one step too far i think... :)

Used the camera and auto-focus light thingy-me-bob to help me see down the stud wall. Remember those things as a kid which had a couple of mirrors angled so you could see around corners - a 21st century version of one of those!!!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back