Cable info

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I will soon be getting wall to wall wardrobes fitted but where the wardrobes will be there is at present a single wall socket, i need a single socket inside the wardrobes to power a TV so i was going to remove the socket face plate and join new cable to the existing cable coming out of the wall run the new cable up the back of the units and drill a small hole and feed the cable through into a surface mounted back box which will be behind the TV, so does this sound okay so far?
what type of cable do i need and what it the best way of joining the new and old cable?

Sponsored Links
1) Is the existing socket an unfused spur from a ring final circuit?
2) How many cables are connected at the existing socket? And what size?
3) Is the existing socket RCD protected?

This will determine whether you can keep the existing socket, or replace it with a blank plate in order to connect your new socket, or be obliged to fit an RCD for the new socket.

If the old socket is being removed, then 30 A choc-block is suitable for connecting the new cables in the back box and fit a blank plate in place of the socket outlet. Such a joint must remain accessible, which means not hiding it behind a permanent fixture; you may have to provide an access hole in the back of the wardrobe.

In any case:

Use 2.5 mm² twin & earth cable. Provide a means of support e.g. mini trunking or cable clips.

1) Is the existing socket an unfused spur from a ring final circuit? Not sure what you mean.
2) How many cables are connected at the existing socket? And what size? Three cables red black and earth.
3) Is the existing socket RCD protected? Dont know
sorry i cannot be more help but i know little about electrics.

1) Do you plan to remove the existing socket and replace it with a blank plate? Or keep it?

2) Is it just 1 cable of 3 wires (Line, Neutral and Earth), or are there 2 cables (2 each of L, N, E)?

3) Suggest you find out - since your new socket is required to have RCD protection.

Sadly it may not be just as simple as banging in a new socket, since you may make the circuit less safe or uncompliant by doing so. If this is a struggle, then it should be a cheap job for an electrician.

Sponsored Links
I plan to remove the wall socket, connect a longer piece of cable to the wires inside the back box,and then put the wall socket inside the wardrobes.
There are two cables of three wires 2 each E. N. L.

If you have access to a good quality ratchet crimp, crimps and some heatshrink tubing, this could be an easy job for you, but if you don't then it might be just aswell to get a sparky to do it for you. It should be a cheap and quick job for him/her.

If you have a permanent marker pen or sticky labels then don't worry about the need for RCD in this case. Its (almost) always good advice to have RCD protection, but it isn't necessary here.

Oh yes - dedicated socket so no RCD required so long as new cable is all surface mounted. :oops: Thanks MF!

Wouldn't a cable running behind fixed fitted furniture be classed as concealed?

Seems to me if you make connection in the box, you still need to make a cut-out in the wardrobe to give access to the old box.
Why not just make a cut out in the wardrobe over the old socket then run an extension lead inside the wardroe !!

Seems to me if you make connection in the box, you still need to make a cut-out in the wardrobe to give access to the old box.
Why not just make a cut out in the wardrobe over the old socket then run an extension lead inside the wardroe !!

I thought about that as i wrote the above, but i seem to recall a thread recently where this was suggested and the OP really didn't like the idea and got a bit stroppy with the person who kept suggesting it as an option.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back