Downlighters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've recently brought a New Built house and installed 8 mains 50W downlighters in my lounge by taking the wiring from each of the downlighter to a Junction Box, i've split the wiring to 4 x 20A Junction boxes. Is this a correct method of installing, or would this cause any problems?
Also i will be installing a further 16 mains 50W downlighters downstairs, so there will be 23 50W mains downlighters downstairs, will this overload the circuit?

Sponsored Links
akharodia said:
I've recently brought a New Built house and installed 8 mains 50W downlighters in my lounge by taking the wiring from each of the downlighter to a Junction Box, i've split the wiring to 4 x 20A Junction boxes. Is this a correct method of installing, or would this cause any problems?
If it made sense, given the positions of the lights and where the cables run then it was the way to go. In general you should always seek to minimise the use of JBs, but you do need to temper that with pragmatism based on the layout.

Also i will be installing a further 16 mains 50W downlighters downstairs, so there will be 23 50W mains downlighters downstairs, will this overload the circuit?
Well, 23 50W lights will consume 5A, which is almost all of your 6A gone.

What else will be on the same circuit?

There will be another light feature hanging down on to the dining table. As far as i know only the downstairs lighting are on the circuit, i'm not to sure if the 2 points for the outside lighting are on the same circuit. I've got a Hager Consumer Unit with individual switches for the different circuits but there is no mention of the capacity for the downstairs lighting, apart from a big trip block which has 100A printed on it.

look close at the "individual switches " there will be a little number on each, that is what you are looking for

for example 6a 32a

Sponsored Links
B6 written on some of the switch, b32 or b16 on other switches.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back