changing to downlights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Just redoing the bathroom, following shower breakdown and leakage, and we are going to replaster the ceiling and remove the old light while doing so. I am planning to get 4 of the flameguard ip65 downlights that come highly reccommended on here. Was going to get the mains voltage 50w lights. There is a 4 way junction box in the loft already leading in and out of the circuit, off to the light and off to the switch, if I remove that light connection can I just wire each downlight into the same connection on the JB (same connections the old light used) 4 50w downlights should be ok coming off the pull switch?

thanks

Sponsored Links
Take the neutral from the junction box and the switched live from the same junction box, then wire to 1st position and daisy chain 1st to 2nd, 2nd to 3rd, 3rd to 4th.

Bathroom work should be notified and should be certifcated as a minor works.

Sponsored Links
:eek: Plenty. As it says in the article above, they have a long warm up period (about 3-4 mins to reach full brightness) but give off sufficient light to urinate etc. We leave ours on all night so the burglars can see their way through the back gardens.

Go for 9 watts, they really are very bright. We have a slightly larger bathroom than yours and 3 x 9 watts is fine. We have a 60w pull cord tungsten tube light above the mirror for when we need instant light. The CFLs also dont need directing, as they are not a "spot" light, more a flood light, they dont have a beam.

Beware you will need a fitting with a flylead rather than a fixed lamp holder, or the CFLs will stick out of the front by 2cm!

Thanks Crafty, that seems settled then, although I was going to get the flameguard ip65 ones that are meant for CFL bulbs.

I was planning to wire them like this in the diagram (sorry it's a bit crude, not the best artist me) Is there a better way. I thought if I did them in series it may lose power by the 3rd one.

http://www.myphotolodge.com/is.php?i=11557&img=wiring.gif

If you wire the lights as your diagram then it will be fine, and IMO the best way of doing it.

One question though, will the joint boxes remain accessible?

p.s. the diagram is clearer than some of the regulars on here can manage :LOL:

GU10s in a bathroom?

Low voltage needed there for bathroom regs i believe.

No. GU10 is fine in a bathroom providing it is sited in the apropriate zones, and if you use a shower light type fitting with a CFL lamp it will be protected to IP65.

Yes the junction boxes will be accessible in the loft and I am going to get the IP65 flameguard CFL's for all 3 lights (even though I only need one for the shower)

Thanks for all the help

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I have just taken out the old light for the plasterer, and it has led me to re-evaluate the lighting needed in the bathroom. I did say 3 CFl's originally, but the missus has had a massive argument about them, so now going to have to go with IP65 GU10's, mains voltage.

Want to put 5 of them in the bathroom, and my question really is, are 5 50w gu10's (all shower lights so safe from that point of view) ok to wire up to one 20amp junction box (like the method in my earlier picture, but with 2 more lights in it) and then connect that junction box to the switch/in/out supplies (also as previous picture) or should I split the supply from the switch off to 2 junction boxes, and then connect 2 lights 2 one JB and 3 to the other JB. Doing it this weekend so any advice appreciated

Good point :LOL:

Actually it was with me, but I brought up Crafty's name for the advice and she went nuts, "you're going by some bloke you've never met, blah blah blah"

so I'm going to put a CFL up in the downstairs loo where it is only the one, and when she has got used to it, I'll change the bathroom ones over from GU10 to CFL (thats why I got ones with a smaller cut out for now, so I can upgrade to a bigger hole)

What do you reckon on the wiring setup, and will 1mm be ok

Wiring diagram is OK. What cable size you use depends on what the rest of the circuit is wired in really.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back