Lead welding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am renewing all the lead flashing around the chimney stack. (Re-slating as well).
When it comes to the lead chimney gutter (I believe it's called) I've dressed in around the top corner to the sides but it just hasn't worked out.

I've seen the more professional method of welding/soldering a triangular piece of lead in to get the shape.

I believe there is a low-temperature solder for this job. Am I correct, and what temperature does it melt, and what is the difference in the melting temperature of the lead?

I'm sure this is a skilled job that comes with experience, but am keen to give it a go.

Wish me luck.

Sponsored Links
If you have experience of welding with gas, then you should be able to pick it up, but its done at much lower temps with a specific gun.

I have used the portapacks from roofing suppliers when stuck, they worked fine.

Thanks for the info Xenon, I've done some mig welding (very different I know) and loads of electrical soldering, so I should get the hang of it.

I'll give the portapacks you mention a try.

I also need to re-do the lead-lined stone gutters all around the house, and will be getting some T-Pren that I believe is the answer to expansion cracks.

So I really need to get to grips with the lead 'sticking-together' issue.

I might even splash out on the specific gun you mention.

The portepack comes with gun/hoses/bottles.

Cut yourself some lead filler sticks, thoroughly clean all areas to be burnt by scraping to brite metal, and have a practise.

Sponsored Links
Hi. I would suggest you are very careful if using ox/acet equipment especially on a roof. The flame temp. of a model O torch can reach 1200 c. The filler rod is lead not solder. As to welding if you have not tried before, practice on a bench, you will find flat welding with support can be picked up OK but inclined and upright are far more demanding. Good Luck

Thanks for the advise JL.
I won't be doing it on the roof, I'll make it up then get it on the bench.

I take it I can get the filler rod from roofing supplies, or do I just cut a strip of lead? And do I use a flux?

Hi. As Xenon says cut filler rod from the sheet lead you are using. Simple cut strips from say code 4 sheet lead approx 6 to 10 mm wide clean both sides with a shave hook, use the same tool to clean the parent metal you intend to weld. We fabricate on the bench in 90% of cases. If you wish to get an idea of a finished back gutter have a look at http://justlead.co.uk there is also a video on the site showing our method of fitting. Good Luck

Hi SNM, im not a million miles away from you and often work in Liverpool, if you get stuck i can show you how to lead weld for a small fee of course lol
Cheers
Dave
P.S. The art is getting you welding gun set up right.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back