gloworm 18hxi F1 fault

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all, Great forum!

Back in July 2007 my boiler was giving an F1 fault and would not function. After browsing this site and many others I started to track the fault down. I replaced a thermister sensor (pn:801722) and it worked ever since which was good because I could not afford the call out fee.

I'm getting the same fault again. Started last night. I shut every thing down and started it up on low temp and all is OK at present. It's now runing at 70 degree all radiators hot and hot water OK. I'm off to buy a thermister sensor soon just in case it fails (Don't want the kids getting cold over weekend) Thought I'd post here and get your thoughts/suggestions. I'm taking out insurance however they have a 28 day clause before they will 'support' my boiler :(

Any help appreciated - Thanks in advance

Hippy

Sponsored Links
For a small fault an independent is far cheaper than an insurance scheme ( unless you had an unreliable boiler like those the Ideal Man maintains ).

Tony

F1 is an ignition fault, ie no gas, no spark or more commonly on Glow Worms the pcb.

Needs thorough investigation before parting with your cash.

Yes, I thought the F1 was an ignition failure but I dont have time to look up codes unless its a boiler I am working on myself.

Its quite possible the boiler was never set up properly at installation and the OP seems not to have ever had it serviced properly.

Tony

Sponsored Links
I certainly intend to have a professional look at it. Just straped for cash and the quotes I'm getting are outrageous. One suggested that a full drain of the system would be required to fix this F1 fault. Of the five calls I've made I had five different scenarios :( Heat exchanger, Pump, PC board, Full system drain. Last time I fixed it it cost 13 quid. Gonna keep asking friends until I find a recomended service

F1 will also appear if the condensate is blocked and backing up into the combustion chamber. seen that a few times now.

Bah! Missus has signed me up to E.On number1 scheme. £15 a month!!

Women :eek:

ah well - tis done now

Will post in electrical forum about my next mission :)

Condensate baking up is the no. 1 cause of F1 faults on these.

Anyone else noticed the amount of crap that gets in the condensate trap seems worse on the hxi's than most?

Plus the condensate trap, siphon adaptor, float soon stops working and seems a poorer than usual bit of the art of plastic design?

Found a couple where someone has just removed the float to make it work......

i've had f1 faults that are caused by the gas valve gradually losing calibration. the wrong ratio means they won't light.

Anyone else noticed the amount of crap that gets in the condensate trap seems worse on the hxi's than most?

the one make that is the ultimate in blocking up condensates - ideal - absolute bag of turd. the icos, isar and istor love to block up their condensate traps but tbh i find hxi/cxi are no worse than any baxi/potterton, worcester, buderus, broag etc

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back