Header tank overflow

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Why am I getting a steady dripping out of the overflow pipe from my header tank? Seems to be only when the heating is on, but then not all the time that's running either.

I was going to try to reset the ball cock in the tank so that the water level doesn't come up as high as the over flow, but I wanted to know if there were any causes before I attempted this cure.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Sponsored Links
Assuming it's the small FE tank since heting related, water level should be just above the outlet pipe.

As for dripping, could be one of many things - the most common is pumping over due to system being sludged up, which you can attempt to remedy by putting a system cleanser in for a couple of week, draining down and refilling.

Cheers Swidders. Biught some sludge remover in case it was that. Looks like tomorrow morning I'm spending time in the loft!

Sponsored Links
Cheers Swidders. Biught some sludge remover in case it was that. Looks like tomorrow morning I'm spending time in the loft!

In the nicest of ways, I hope I never hear from you again :) ;)

Hope it works

Hi

Header is over-flowing even though ball cock set very low. Water from the main tank in roof is coming into header tank causing the level to rise. Have lobbed in sludge remover.

Is this normal or is it a visit from the plumber that's required?

Hi

Header is over-flowing even though ball cock set very low. Water from the main tank in roof is coming into header tank causing the level to rise. Have lobbed in sludge remover.
How did you come to this conclusion?

Hi

Is this normal or is it a visit from the plumber that's required?

How is water getting from the main tank into the header tank? And no, this doesn't sound normal.

if it is coming from the cws into the f/e tank then the cylinder coils gone

if you shut the gate valve in airing cupboard feeding the cylinder from the cws and the f/e stops filling/overflowing then its def the coil.

Hi

How did you come to this conclusion?

Hi

Because I have just come down from the loft! Turned heating on and waited to see what happens. Pipe from big tank (I'm not a plumber!) is putting water into header tank. Not at a great rate mind, but it is occurring.

Heating and hot water all working fine (apart from one rad that's a bit temperamental, but that's another issue).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back