What should I ensure is within the quote

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am about to get some roofers to quote to fit Roof Tile Vent to add ventilation and hopefully remove the condensation that is within the loft.

I am also going to add some air brinks at the lower level of the roof - I will do this over summer.

Just need to know what I should ensure is within the quote? What happens if there is a leak? What about payment options? 20% up front, 40% on completion, 40% 30 days later?

Also is there a website where I can print off a contract via a roofers federation or something?

Any advice welcome

Cheers

Coops

Sponsored Links
The quote should just tell you what they intend to do ie: how many vents and what type (manufacturer) and how long the price is open for.

There's not going to be much else to tell you on a job that small.

As far as payment is concerned it is up to you to come to an agreement with the contractor. If it was a larger job we would reckon on receiving part payment on commencement with final payment 14 days after completion, the work that you are having carried out will most likely take not much longer than a day so I would expect the payment terms to just be payment in full 14 days after completion, this gives time to see if the work has been carried out properly and with no ill effects to the existing covering.

I assume by if there is a leak, you mean during the course of the work, this shouldn't be an issue as it is highly likely the job will be carried out on a dry day.

As far as I'm aware there is no formal contract document available to print off on any of the roofing organisations websites.

You may be trying to over complicate things for this amount of work TBH

Thanks for your help SurreyRoofingEstimator

Can I ask, am I wasting my time about thinking of adding extra ventilation to the roof space as we mainly get the condensation over the winter months when we increase / use the heating?

Cheers

Coops

TBH It's never a waste of time to increase ventilation in the roof space. Having some airflow through the roof will allow it to breathe and stop moisture hanging around all the timber in the roofspace

Sponsored Links
Hi

Loft condensation is common during cold winter months. Having vents installed wont cause you any problems as long as your loft insulation is okay. If your insulation is poor then your warm air from your heating will go straight into the loft and out through the vents.

I dont think a contract is vital for this type of work, just ask to see a copy of there public liability insurance. and make sure you have in writing what work is being carried out and what the final price will be, A written quotation will be fine.

No liabilty insurance = Dodgy company

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back