Cement Skews

str

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We're about to have some major work done at the house and as part of it, the cement skews are going to be redone, they needed doing for a while.

As we will have a roofer there slating a new roof and the assocaited leadwork and obviously, to replace the cement skews, is it worthwhile in having lead dressed in instead of new cement skews?

can/is this done? It just seems to me that the lead would last longer/less maintanence

any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Hi. Roofing colloquialisms as the word suggests don not travel. i am guessing skew cement = cement fillet used at slate / tile wall abutments? Please put me straight.

sorry didn't think that it might be a regional word

I think you have it right - its the cement fillet (i guess this is the right word :confused: ) that covers the join/area where the slate finishes against the end elevation/coping stone on the elevation wall.

to create a waterproof seal i assume

well the colloquialisms travelled this far str :D , west coast!
cement skews/fillets are generally used on slate roofs between a clubstone, abutment wall to form a seal between the two.
using cement was and is the cheaper alternative to using lead.
far better gettin a lead concealed gutter fitted beneath your slates/tiles.
300mm code 5 lead. a bit more expensive, but a far better job.

Sponsored Links
alastairreid

thanks for that - I get that priced then - the cement skews have to be replaced so might as well see if we can afford to do one better!

Lang may yer lumb reek,,, o sorry guys,,,,, that was the "Chimney has no draw" post. :LOL:

Roughcaster.

they call it "torching" where I come from (not Hants)

In Somerset its called a cement fillet, and torching was done inside the roof here to stop snow and rain being driven back between the slates or tiles.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back