Glow worm 18hxi

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

New to the forum but looks like lots of good advice on here!

I had a Glowworm 18hxi installed three weeks ago. After 8 days the boiler started making a high pitched noise but only as it warms up.

What happens is that the temperature builds up to about 50 degreees C and then the noise starts. If you turn down the temperature the boiler is set at then the noise generally goes off, even if the boiler doesn't. In other words, if its set at 75c and you turn it down to 65c it will stop, even if the boiler has only reached 60c.

The system has been power flushed and inhibitor used - the one recommended by Glowworm.

I had a Glowworm engineer out and he said that they have found a problem with the use of inhibitor and the system should be drained and refilled without inhibitor. If it was Ok then inhibitor could be reintroduced in small doses, stepping up a bit at a time (I presume until it makes a noise again!).

He also said if draining the system and refilling it without inhibitor did not solve the probelm then they would change the heat exchanger. They are sending out another engineer later this week to assess it again inspite of him saying we would skip this step and change the heat exchanger.

My questions are:

- Has anyone come across this inhibitor issue before? It seems very odd to suggest running a system without inhibitor. I found one reference on the Forum to this in 2005 but no others.

- Second, if you can't use inhibitor then surely the Glowworm product is not fit for purpose. That means unless Glowworm solve the problem we will end up in Court!

Grateful for advice

David

Sponsored Links
First thing to do would be to call the installer back.

The boiler should have been set up with a flue gas analyser - was it?

Fron the response of the G-W engineer there does not seem to be any issues with the installation.

I have not heard of this problem and it sounds a little odd to me but if they are contemplating changing the heat exchanger then they are accepting ownership of the situation so you should leave it to them.

The installer has apparently complied with all the installation instructions and should not have to spend much time reattending free on account of issues with the boiler.

I suspect there is more to it than meets the eye!

Perhaps some of the engineers on here who work for G-W can give us some more information?

Tony

Its usually the gas/air ratio set up that causes these things to whistle.

Ask the installer to check that it is correctly set up.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the responses.

Engineer and installer due on Thursday and I will give an update after that.

Hi all,

Gas/air mix was checked and fine.

New heat exchanger fitted by GW and, so far, so good.

Thanks for the help and advice

David

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back