planting suggestions for unsightly wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a dwarf wall approx. 30cm tall that curves around a border in a u-shape. It's a retaining wall so needs to be there, but it looks old and has a lot of small areas od damage (frost damage i think.) I was thinking of planting something behind it and then trying to drape it over the wall and cover it. I have seen this done with ivy (lots of small plants places at intervals and eventually they cling to the wall and cascade over it. ) Would I be wise to do this seeing as how there are parts of the wall that are crumbly. However, the structure is sound, the damage is only superficial, yet. Anything different i could use? What is the plant that has hundreds of little purple flowers on it in spring? I often see it in front gardens when driving past. Something evergreen would be ideal. Is there a variety of ivy that would tear the wall down?

Sponsored Links
OK, can't believe I'm about to respond to a question about gardening! Not my area of expertise at all, having owned a garden for less than three weeks, but I happen to have the same situation at the moment so randomly know something about this.

The purple plant you mention sounds like wisteria and it comes in white and purple flavours.

My girlfriend is currently on about "espalier-style" fruit trees, which you plant at the bottom of the wall (do you have that option?) and train to grow along it rather than up.

A google on either of those terms might yield some more useful information.

Good luck,
M.

thanks for the replies. I should have made clear, it's only knee height and retains soil on one side (where i want to plant, and a paved drive on the other. Should also have mentioned it was at the front of the house. Hence the idea to drape something over, as opposed to growing in front (can't because of drive.)

As it happens Mark, I recently bought a wisteria for a part of the back garden fence and plan to do as you suggested. WIll have to research pruning them to flower. Apparently it's a bit of a dark art.

Spot on Eddie. That's the one - Aubretia. Do you know if it spreads sideways, or just over the wall and down. Never seen any in our local garden centre, and was wondering how many would be needed and how quickly they grow. I know Ivy spread all over and very quickly.

Sponsored Links
Yeah. it spreads sideways, about 2 feet. Haven't seen it in garden centres but then haven't looked for it, I suppose it's a bit of a grannie's plant.

BTW, did you know that in its native China, Wisteria grows up to 100 feet tall :eek: so it's generally considered too vigourous to grow on a fence.

sen - you wrote pruning wisteria ... "Apparently it's a bit of a dark art." The trick is in the timing of the snipping and how much to take off each time. I've a couple of large 25 year old specimens (I planted then as babies) growing up the front of my house and this is the method I use.

Once the leaves have dropped in the Autumn you'll see long whippy stems growing out - in the early years if you want to spread the plant across a wall train these stems along wires (heavy duty vine eyes screwed into the wall with galvanised wire between). Once the plant is established and you don't want any more spread snip these whips (new growth) to 2 or 3 buds from the main stem. Any seed pods hanging can be removed - you'll only get these pods if the plant has flowered. In the Spring (the Old Wives Tale is Grand National Weekend)watch for the very early signs of activity - some buds will produce leaf growth and others flower growth - when you're certain which is flower carefully prune any unwanted woody growth away to tidy-up. DO NOT touch the flower buds as they'll drop.

The basic rule is not to prune too much away ... remember the at least 2 bud rule and don't over prune the structure too much in the early years. Mine are sprouting the flowers as I post ... if it's a sunny day tomorrow I'll take a couple of snaps to illustrate the above.

I suppose it's a bit of a grannie's plant

that may be true, but it's a bit unfair. I know the ivy is a better prospect, but my only worry is wrecking the already shakey wall. Is there a kind of ivy (ie. clingy and vigorous) but not likely to damage a the brickwork of an old wall? I wonder if I could strengthen the wall by painting it with some kind of clear seal.

in its native China, Wisteria grows up to 100 feet tall

It's only a spindly looking thing at the moment, in a tiny pot. I think mine is a japanese wisteria with dark purple flowers. I was hoping to grow it up a fence and then have it grow laterally in both directions (left and right.) I thought I could fix some 2x2 wooden beams on each side and try and train the stems along it. What do you think? [/quote]

that may be true, but it's a bit unfair. I know the ivy is a better prospect, but my only worry is wrecking the already shakey wall. Is there a kind of ivy (ie. clingy and vigorous) but not likely to damage a the brickwork of an old wall? I wonder if I could strengthen the wall by painting it with some kind of clear seal.

It's only a spindly looking thing at the moment, in a tiny pot. I think mine is a japanese wisteria with dark purple flowers. I was hoping to grow it up a fence and then have it grow laterally in both directions (left and right.) I thought I could fix some 2x2 wooden beams on each side and try and train the stems along it. What do you think?

that may be true, but it's a bit unfair.

I agree, totally unfair, its just that plants like clothes come in and out of fashion. Personally I can't stand the instant low maintenence garden in vogue at the moment. Gawdy and unsophisticated if you ask me.

I know the ivy is a better prospect, but my only worry is wrecking the already shakey wall. Is there a kind of ivy (ie. clingy and vigorous) but not likely to damage a the brickwork of an old wall? I wonder if I could strengthen the wall by painting it with some kind of clear seal.

If it's only 30cm tall, ivy is possibly going to be too vigourous, stick with the Aubretia if you like it. To strenghten the wall, could you not repoint it?

It's only a spindly looking thing at the moment, in a tiny pot. I think mine is a japanese wisteria with dark purple flowers. I was hoping to grow it up a fence and then have it grow laterally in both directions (left and right.) I thought I could fix some 2x2 wooden beams on each side and try and train the stems along it. What do you think?

Hmm, Wisteria is normally grafted onto rootstock, I don't know without looking at it, wisteria is a notoriously difficult customer, many a time has someone been disappointed by a non flowering specimen. But to answer the question, to grow on a fence, I suppose you could but I would personally consider it too vigourous for that.

Ivy - the brickwork is structually sound. The problem is frost has damaged the outer surface so it is crumbly in parts. On some bricks 5mm deep patches have fallen off so it looks a bit messy. I planned to seal these areas with some kind of sealant (don't know what) and then grow something over. I've seen it done on a few walls I have passed whilst in the car. They normally use a variegated variety (light green/cream) and with small leaves. The thing is I've only seen the big leaved green variety on sale, and usually in large containers. I was thinking about getting soma in small pots, the kind used in hanging baskets, and placing them at 20cm intervals all the way round. How does this sound? (I will also add a few Aubretia at selected parts - grannies and my favorites!)

Wisteria - The kind I have is twisted around a bamboo stick. I was wondering how it should be planted? Should i remove the thin bamboo cane and try to put a slid wooden stake down the middle (it has spiralled quite tightly. ) Or just planted it need to a thick post and attach it using tree fixers. It won't actually be on the fence, but close by it. I sort of planned to build a T shape out of chunky wood and just have it connected to the fence at a few points. In theory it should grow up the middle and then along each side - forming the T shape. Am I crazy?

Ivy - the brickwork is structually sound. The problem is frost has damaged the outer surface so it is crumbly in parts. On some bricks 5mm deep patches have fallen off so it looks a bit messy. I planned to seal these areas with some kind of sealant (don't know what) and then grow something over. I've seen it done on a few walls I have passed whilst in the car. They normally use a variegated variety (light green/cream) and with small leaves. The thing is I've only seen the big leaved green variety on sale, and usually in large containers. I was thinking about getting soma in small pots, the kind used in hanging baskets, and placing them at 20cm intervals all the way round. How does this sound? (I will also add a few Aubretia at selected parts - grannies and my favorites!)

Wisteria - The kind I have is twisted around a bamboo stick. I was wondering how it should be planted? Should i remove the thin bamboo cane and try to put a slid wooden stake down the middle (it has spiralled quite tightly. ) Or just planted it need to a thick post and attach it using tree fixers. It won't actually be on the fence, but close by it. I sort of planned to build a T shape out of chunky wood and just have it connected to the fence at a few points. In theory it should grow up the middle and then along each side - forming the T shape. Am I crazy?

No, not crazy :LOL: Hanging basket ivy or varigated trailing ivy would be fine, I don't think sealing the bricks will help much, as they wil get damp regardless, and proably suffer frost damage anyway.

The wisteria, weeeelll you could try, I'm not sure how successful you'll be. Wisteria is a fast grower.

If you like Aubretia, and I for one certainly don't dislike it, then go for it, doesn't really require any maintenence.

How about some sempervivum or some corydalis. Both like being grown in walls.

How about some sempervivum or some corydalis. Both like being grown in walls.

Both are great plants, particularly sempervivum (one of my favourites - but I tend to grow it in pots.) Not sure how to grow it "in" a wall. There are no great holes and I certainly don't want to make any. I'm sure that would be asking for trouble with this wall!

Wisteria - The ting am unsure about is how to grow the central stem. Mine is corkiscrewing around a bamboo cane and is 1.2 metrs tall. Then it starts to go all over the place with shoots gowing out in all directions. Now, how do I stake the central stem - tie the thing to a post or try to train it around a new post (not sure I can unwind it as it is is like a rigid bit of wood.) Can a wisteria just support itself like a tree? and hence just needs to be attached to a stake by a band. More questions than answers with wisteria... need to read up on them I think (or just put the d**n thing in the ground and see how it goes!)

Here are a few of my choices for you.

A suitable ivy would be Hedera 'Gold Heart', this has the tiny leaves you mention and a yellow centre. Not too vigorous so shouldn't overpower your wall.

Aubrieta are most suitable in shades of purple and pink. Sheer back after flowering. They will regrow to provide evergreen cover.

Cistus Corbariensis is an evergreen low growing shrub, 3 foot high 5 foot wide with white flowers.

Rosa 'Raubritter' is a spectacular summer flowering rose for growing over a wall but there are also longer flowering ground covering roses for this purpose too which might be better. They are low growing but spreading and will dangle over giving a charming effect.

Lampranthus in shades of purple, white, and other colours are also evergreen and spreading, they will hang down gracefully. A must for any low wall.

Veronica pedunculata 'Georgia Blue' is in full flush now with gorgeous blue flowers, is evergreen and will spread and again hang down a wall.

You can also grow clematis as ground cover by letting them run along, training them through and over the top of other plants.

Nothing like being adventurous :)

sen - just plant the wisteria but make sure any graft is above the ground a little way. Take the cane out but the beast will need support - hence the practice of growing it up walls (vine eyes & wire) but supporting it with a stake is fine (tie it with proper tree straps) in the early years. As wisteria is a climber it's not within it's nature to put on enough bulk to be self-supporting unless it's had savage pruning throughout it's life to keep it small (a nasty idea IMO) ... some old specimens can support themselves as their trunks have bulked-up enough and the weight/growth of the canopies reduced over the plant's lifetime. Don't attempt to unravel yours 'cos there'll be a danger of damage; those whippy stems I previously mentioned tend to wrap themselves around anything and everything ... mine got around the rear of the downpipes and into the attic (through the soffits). I trimmed away the attic villains and had to dis-mount the downpipes and thread them out from the growth; now i keep a close watch and re-direct any whippies away from bother.

thanks lorena. Now I have some other names to go on i'll definitely look into those.

symptoms - sounds like you've had a real battle with your wisteria - fortunately, it also sounds like you won! Any tips for soil/ conditions:
I'm going to be planting it where it will get direct sun for around half the day and planned to fill the planting hole with loads of rotted compost. Do they prefer damp or well drained soil? Is PH an issue? Should I throw some chicken manure pellets or bonemeal at the bottom of the hole?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back