FITTING NEFF OVEN & SMEG HOB

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm replacing an existing stand alone Electric Cooker (protected by a NSB40 (40A) Wylex Minitaure Circuit Breaker) on a radial spur. I have no idea about the existing rating of the cable in the wall.

I will be fitting a NEFF double oven( 5.1 kw) and a SMEG Hob (6.6 kw)

Can I connect this to the same Cooker outlet junction box?

Is the 40A circuit breaker adequate or will I need to move up to 50A if the following rule holds good...

5100W + 6600W = 11700W/240V = 48.75 A

What size three core cable do I need from the cooker and the hob to the cooker outlet junction box?

Sponsored Links
Lots of recent cooker posts – do a search.

You have two appliances hob at 6.6 and cooker at 5.1. We have harmonised with Europe and you must use 230v in the calculations.

6.6+5.1 = 11700w
11700w/230v = 50.8A.

Allowing for diversity max demand is 10+(30% * 40.8) = 22.26A

Therefore in theory 4mm should be ok for the appliances. However with a 40A MCB you will need at least 6mm if not 10mm depending on the way your cables are installed.

The two appliances can be on the same circuit since we are under 50A circuit rating provided the cooker unit switch is within 2m of both appliances.

Also you need twin core and earth not 3 core. You won't be able to get 2x10mm in a typical Cooker unit terminal. So the final tails will probably need to be 6mm.

Due to their size I'd consider getting a pro to check your system over. Do you have an eclectic shower as well?

brown-nought said:
Do you have an eclectic shower as well?
No - he's probably got one that only does showering....

rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back