Advice needed: Connectors for mono mixer tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I need some advice on what connectors I need for the mono basin mixer tap I have bought for my bathroom.

The pipe work in my flat is pertty old (think it was built in the 50s), so I think i have imperial fittings on my pipes. My cold water pipe also looks bigger than the hot water one (sorry for no pictures or measurements).

Both the hot and cold pipes have t-junctions on them with a threaded portion coming out of the top (I hope that makes sense).

My mixer tap comes with two copper connectors pipes that screw in to the small holes on the tap and expand out to what I presume is 15 mm.

Both the hot and cold water pipes are quite low to the floor, so the pipes comign off the top are nowhere near reaching, plus the won't line up with the pipees coming from the tap (so maybe I need some sort of flexible connection?).

So my question is, what do I need to get this connected up?

Thanks in anticipation of any help given!

Ian

Sponsored Links
Sounds as though you may have imperial piping in there.
In which case you will need to convert it to metric, (parts easily available from m,erchants).

It may also help if you discard the copper tails you have been given, and buy some flexi hoses instead, they are much more diy friendly!

OK thanks, I'll pop down to the merchants this afternoon. I've seen the flexible monbloc hoses, but when I saw them in Wickes they only had one length....

I guess I can get something to extend up from my old pipes (after i've fitted whetever i need to conver to metric) and then add the flex-hose to this?

On a side note, the staff in my local Wickes weren't very useful (I'm sure they used to have people in there who knew what they weer talking about), hopefully the merchants will be a bit more helpful!

the thread will be either 1/2"" or 3/4"" bsp you need female iron to copper connectors
YF_Main_912_28x1.jpg
;)

I guess I can get something to extend up from my old pipes (after i've fitted whetever i need to conver to metric) and then add the flex-hose to this?

short lengh of copper and a couple of tap flexis :p

Sponsored Links
Right,i've been to the plumbers merchants and got evenrything I need (hopefully!).

I'll let you know how I get on tomorrow.... or if you don't hear from me, my wife's probably done me in! :D

Yes, I already have some cheers. The merchant was kind enough to remind me that I'd need some.

Thanks for you help!

Well, I haven't quite got there yet, but I think I will be OK.

The 1/2" to 15mm connector didn't work as the thread on the connector was different. The plumbers merchant didn't have anyting with a matching thread, so I am now going to jusy using the old nuts that were on there.

At the moment I have just got some blanking disks in witht he old nuts until I can get this finished at the weekend.

Hopefully using new 15mm copper pipe and olives will work OK with the old nuts. Fingers crossed.

Since I've put these blanking disks in, I've also developed a very tiny drip from my stopcock in the bathroom (maybe from turning it on and off a lot), what's the best way to stop this?

Cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back