How strong are concrete-in metal fence post supports?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, this is my first post so please be gentle with me ;)

I have some railings I want to hang on 4x4 fence posts. The railings are 1.9m long x 1.1m high and very, very heavy.

I don't want rotten posts and am considering using those metal post holders which keep the post off the ground. I'm interested in the version where the bottom half is concreted-in.

Anyone know if they would be suitable for my very heavy railings? thank you.

Sponsored Links
. . . I would like too but I don't have any as the railings were secondhand.
I also thought wood would give me a bigger margin of error when attaching the railings.
I need 10 posts and know I could have some made to suit but I assume they will cost at least £20 each? I could maybe stretch to £15 a post if all I needed to do was bolt them on . . .

photo of railings so we know what type you're trying to hang..

1.1m high sounds like decorative rather than industrial...

Sponsored Links
Yes they are decorative, simple design of two horizontal bars which have vertical bars between them, decorative bit along the top bar.
Fixing is via holes 2.5cm from the end of the horizontal bars.

Currently have a work mate seeing if his dad can fabricate me some box section posts . . . could get lucky . . .

thought I should come back and update this post in case someone else is ever in a similar position . . . .

I can get some 70x70x3mm steel box section posts for £12 each (1m 80cm in length). I will have to drill my own holes to thread bolts through and fit a cap of some sort (there are some on eBay) but I think it's worth it for the look and they should last longer than wooden posts.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back