Pegler Belmont rad valves

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
My old mum has these. You can replace the red sealing rings on the spindles when they start to leak. I took a couple off a while ago when fitting TRVs, and re-ringed them. Yesterday I tried to take some more apart, but could not get the top brass nut off that retains the spindle. I did not have a spanner to fit and adjustables would not do it.

Any tips?

I founds I can take the complete inners out with a spark plug socket, but that didn't help. Though I can now use heat on the inner assembly if that will help (I am replacing the rings which are the only non-brass parts)

Sponsored Links
Belmonts are still available as most schools still spec them. Never been bothered in stripping them down to far just find it easier to change the whole valve.

Always seems false economy to me to spend more time stripping something and remaking rather than changing the whole valve.Alright part cost more but we can swap as quick as rebuild

Belmonts are still available as most schools still spec them. Never been bothered in stripping them down to far just find it easier to change the whole valve.

Always seems false economy to me to spend more time stripping something and remaking rather than changing the whole valve.Alright part cost more but we can swap as quick as rebuild

Really, Belmonts are great , not draining down, not freezing, no bunging. I reckon you can change the o rings in about 1 minute. i'd like to see you change a rad valve in that time.

we can swap as quick as rebuild
I've got about 20 to do. They're not cheap and I can spare the time. Have you got 20 not-very-old ones in your scrap bin that I might manage to unscrew?

@ HarrogateGas any tips on undoing them?

Sponsored Links
Put some heat on them.A sharp tap on the wrench helps (anti-clockwise).

Close valve first.

I have brought some home with me and can put them on the gas stove :eek: or in the oven. What sort of temp will brass take?

Trick will be to get the gland nut off without the whole inner set unscrewing first

Will it make a difference to close the valve?

p.s. lcgs I am not in the business

Melting point of Brass is in excess of 900 celcius.

I was thinking more of A quick localised blast with the blow torch!

If valve is fully open ,The spindle could bind against the gland nut.

Get a spanner that fits and turn the valve so it's half open (or shut) so it cannot bind either way.

Done anyone have some old ones to spare? I will gladly pay costs. Some of them have been damaged by previous attempts to remove the spindle nut.

Melting point of Brass is in excess of 900 celcius.

I was thinking more of A quick localised blast with the blow torch!

If valve is fully open ,The spindle could bind against the gland nut.
Yeah but no but...heat in oven and Thermo shock them by plunging into cold water :idea: Ask Thermo if he got a shock last time he plunged into the sea in Sussex ;)

Wrap 3 turns of ptfe around the shaft, and poke it into the stuffing box, and do the gland nut back up.

can't undo the spindle gland nuts. That's what I meant.

it's not a metric size, I have been using a socket that fits from my collection. I think it was 3/8" Whit

I was able to crack open and undo some very tight gland nuts, but others have been rounded or burred and I can't get them undone.

I might have some old AF and WW OE or ring spanners in a box at the back of the shed somewhere, but I haven't found them yet.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back