Worcester Heatslave Rumble - Fan bearings?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a Worcester Heatslave oil boiler 20/25 and the boiler is sometimes noisy. Runs fine but I would like to solve the noise and ensure when I am working away the family don't get stranded.

Initially I suspected the water pump because the problem started when I forgot to turn the boiler off during a drain down (bad mistake) so it started and kettled what water was left. I therefore thought I may have cooked the pump bearings and they are now the culpritt.

Having just started the boiler up typically the water pump is silent and the boiler is running pretty quietly - typical! If I use a screwdriver on the fan housing I can hear a pulsing drone. If I listen at the flue the burner is running smoothly.

I am therefore thinking I might have early signs of the bearings going in the fan motor. I saw replacment of these described elsewhere on the forum - //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=66290

Does it sound like I need to pull the fan out?

Any tips greatfully received.

Regards

Jeremy

Sponsored Links
Most people would say if its still working and any slight noise is not a problem then leave it!

Its rather unclear but you seem to be saying that you cannot heat any noise without a screwdrived.

Tony

When I fired the boiler up to hear the noise and describe it on the forum it was typically rather quieter than normal. I therefore held a screwdriver to the water pump then the fan housing and put my ear to the other end to try and pinpoint the source. When on the water pump - nothing. When on the fan housing I could hear the pulsing drone.

I am now in the adjacent room and can as usual very clearly hear the noise it starts about 15 seconds - 30 seconds before the boiler fires and is a pretty loud pulsing drone. Clearly audible through a solid 4" wall about 6m away in the next room. It then continues until the boiler shuts down at tempereature.

I am wondering if this is likely to be the fan motor bearings?

Regards

Jer05

The Burner motor normally makes a high pitched SCREAM when the Bearings wear, so I think you would be wise to get an OFTEC Engineer to have a looky see ;)

Sponsored Links
As above could be motor bearings but also could be the oil pump about to die too.

Changing the motor bearings is unlikely to upset the combustion settings as long as you don't undo the wrong bits!

But changing the pump will require an experienced, preferably OFTEC reg, guy who has the necessary oil pressure gauge and combustion meter to reset the burner.

Don't attempt it without the necessary instruments. :eek:

Its rather unclear but you seem to be saying that you cannot heat any noise without a screwdrived.

now if I were a sarcastic plss taker :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back