Need some tips for painting for the first time

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I said to my mum i would come and help her paint her hall way and sort of wish i didnt bother now lol. I said i would help her as she hasnt got much money and i thought i would give it a go first and if we messed it up she can then pay someone.

I have painted my old bedroom a few times so have a little idea.

I have watched a few clips on the dulux website and understand i start at the top and work my way down.

I understand preparation is the key. I take it i have to sand all the previous white paint down on the stairs poles and the skirting boards. What should i use for this ? Sand paper or i saw some were a liquid i could put on.

I take it i sand down any rough bits on the wall and feel any cracks. Then do i wash the wall with sugar soap before i start to paint? I was going to use the one coat paint. Is this any good ?

The worst problem is the gap/ cracking between the skirting boards and the wall can i use something to fill this gap?

Can i use the same paint i use on the ceiling for the wood?

Thanks for any tips. Any links to any good products would help.

I take it a paint pod is rubbish.

Sponsored Links
You wont need to sugar-soap the walls (unless nicotine or cooking stained etc.)
Lightly sand wood with 80-100 grade to key the surface or level loose/flaked areas then undercoat followed by gloss or 2 coats of eggshell or satin instead of the U/C & gloss.
Steer clear of one-coat c*** 'it doesnt-do-what-it-says-on-the-tin'
use oil-based for woodwork..
Paint-pod is a gimmick for noobs with money to waste m8 ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back