Dirty radiator water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Why is it that when I bleed my radiators the water that comes out is black, and i mean BLACK, but when I drain my system the water that comes out is clear. Then when I fill up the system and bleed the radiators again to release the air the water is black again.

Sponsored Links
cos your system is bogging, mockit, minging, in need of attention

see FAQs at top of page

don't you just love that scot's lilt
bowing-036.gif

Sponsored Links
cos your system is bogging, mockit, minging, in need of attention

see FAQs at top of page

Thanks for the reply. What do I need to do to it. I have tried using system cleaner then inhibitor but that did not do anything. How can I get ridd of the black stuff.

Also, (I dont know if this is related but I think it is), the radiators on one half of my house upstairs dont really heat up. The flow pipes get hot but the returns dont. Do you think I have a blockage and how can i fix it. I have tried turning all other radiators off and they heat up more but still not that hot.

wot system cleaner did you use....

how long was it in system for.....

what temp of ch water were you using......

cold spots and cold rads is classic poor circulation due to sludging

Trying to apply some logic to what you are telling us, does the black stuff come from the rads which are niot heating up?

The professional solution would be to power flush the system.

It could well be that the black one are sludged up and no flow so no heat !

Tony

Trying to apply some logic to what you are telling us, does the black stuff come from the rads which are niot heating up?
British Gas would try and rip you off and say
"The professional solution would be to power flush the system."

It could well be that the black one are sludged up and no flow so no heat !

Tony

fixed that for ye Mr T G lazier

I used sentinal X400 for about 2 months then sentinal X100 inhibitor. I dont know what temperature my CH was at...if you meant at the room thermostat then it was low 20'sC.

Most of my radiators have been replaced with new ones due to renovation and it is only the old ones that have the black water.

The radiators that dont heat up are unrelated to whether they are new or old (5 new, 1 old, all old pipework tough). They are all in one part of the house... one half of upstairs.

I have thought about proffesional power flush but the prices online range from £500-£800 for an average 10 radiator house. My house has around 20 Rads so it would be quite expehsive.

you would have been better off using 2 bottles of x400,closing down all the rads that work ok, so the flow is going through the problem ones,and even better if you can run it with heating on (say 70-80 deg C),you can underdose de sludging chemicals very hard to overdose

could also be a balancing problem

I have tried balancing which didnt work, I also did put in 2 bottles of sludge remover but didnt close off the working rads.

My cousin who's a plumber thinks it might be because those radiators all come off a 15mm main pipe whereas the rest come off 22mm main pipe, and also that they are the furthest rads away from the boiler.

I am going to change those 15mm pipes to 22mm in the next few days as I have not put the carpets in yet. After that I might try connecting a hosepipe to my system and blast out whatever is in there then try the DS40.

I'm pretty sure there is a blockage in the return pipe in that part of the house as it barely heats up even when I turn all other rads off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back