Ceramic cookers. Do they do 'simmer' ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just bought my first Ceramic hobbed cooker. A Belling FSE60..
Nice enough I s'pose, but when I tried to simmer a curry sauce, I found that none of the hobs go low enough. I contacted Belling who brazenly said "none of our cookers have a simmer setting" ?!

Before I lose what bit of hair I have left, is this normal for ceramic hobs,,,, or have I just picked a cr@p brand ?

If this is not normal, please feel free to recommend a similar item, that does do simmer. Not too worried about brands,,,, I don't want the cheapest,,,, can't afford the best.

Thanks for reading.

Sponsored Links
What do the controls do then, if you can not simmer?
I had one for years that had a control that was set low enough to simmer. It didn't state simmer on the control but did offer gentle heat.

,,, that's why I'm flabbergasted.
I'm an ex hotelier and pub landlord, aged 60 and cooked since I was about 10 years old.
For the past 35 years, I've only cooked on electric stoves.
When I decided to update last week, it never dawned on me that I'd have to ask if this or that cooker would actually 'simmer' - I assumed that they all did. What's the use of a cooker that you can't control ?
I have used other peoples ceramic hobs, but never long enough to actually get used to them.
I was beginning to wonder if it was a peculiarity of this type of hob, but everyone that I ask about it says that their hob will simmer.
I tried to stop the control between 1 & zero,,,, but anything between the stops dosn't work.
This wasn't a particularly cheap item either.

As it is, it's no use to me. I do a lot of sauces & stews that I like to simmer all day (or night). I couldn't even leave gravy to simmer on this.

Thanks for your input,,,,

I'd be pleased to learn of other cookers that will simmer so that I can exchange this.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back