Want to have a switch to isolate a complete floor's lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a 3 story Victorian home which has the kitchen on the ground floor and living rm on the 1st floor. Too many times I find I've done the cooking, walk upstairs to put the kids to bed/retire to the living rm etc and realise all the lights are left on downstairs!

Is there an ideal world where I can have a switch outside the living rm to switch off all lights on ground floor...... but..... if I happen to go downstairs and forget/not realise the lights have been switched off, that switching any light/a master switch, turns all the lights back on?

I think a 2 way switch that intercepts the ground floor circuit is the answer, but I'm not an electrician and wouldn't have a clue how to do it!

Thx

Sponsored Links
You'd need some kind of home automation system to do that.

If you were able to put a switch into the lighting circuit before the first downstairs light you could then run a 3-core & earth strapper to another switch upstairs, but you'd then have a 2-way master, i.e. if you turned it off upstairs, and then went downstairs, you'd have to flick the downstairs master - you wouldn't be able to make it work the way you suggested with any light switch overriding the master.

The difficulty of the task depends on where you would want the downstairs master, where the cables run, the type of flooring you have, and your attitude to cutting chases in the walls and redecorating, but it wouldn't be impossible - you'll find a diagram for 2-way switching in the Wiki.

The college I am at has a PIR and switch so you use a self returning switch with starts a timer and the PIR is connected to another terminal of same timer so while people are moving in the room lights will stay on but it will auto switch off once unoccupied.

However these are easy way out Maplin sell the switches but they are no good for college as too easy to switch from auto setting.

However it will not work with energy saving lights and I realised my outside light with 60W bulb on at night only used more power than leaving a 8W energy saving lamp on 24/7 and since I expect whole idea is to save energy it may not work out!

The Philips Occuswitch movement detector is likely better but I have not found a price.

This from Screwfix Seems good but at £85.83 it's not cheap and the description is a bit vague and I am no way certain it would do the job.

So first how much would you consider worth spending to save the cost of a few lights left on?

Sponsored Links
They have PIR's in the office I work at and are a PITA.

They work out of hours, and trigger the lights on for 15 mins or so.

So every 15mins you have to wave at them to turn the lights back on. A complete pain and waste of electricity to turn alot of flourecents back on.

If it was 45 mins in an office it would be ok.

One solution to the home problem would be a contactor with start and stop switches fitted both upstairs and downstairs, to control the lighting power to that floor. Don't know how you would make it look nice though.

Personally I would be worried if I had turned other stuff off other than lights.

Get into the habit of switching lights off as you leave each room. Much cheaper, and less rewiring too.

Hi Deansplit,

Its all do-able, but at a cost which will far outweigh the cost of intermittently running the lamps overnight for a number of years.

Why don't you just fit low energy lamps and then not worry whether you've left the odd one on?

I'd bin the idea of indoor PIR lighting, as mentioned above, more hassle than its worth.

The 2way master switching would work, but i don't think it is without down-sides either. e.g. down master is in hallway, you are cooking in kitchen, kids/visitors are upstairs. Everytime somebody inadvertently operates the upstairs master, you are plunged into dark in the kitchen, they don't realise what happened, you have to go to down master to get light again. Not great.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back