Brass glands not attached to anything in consumer unit?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,
We had our electrics tested last year and following some minor remedial work were told that everything was fine (tested to BS7671 2001). Now we've had a different electrician in, he's looked in the consumer unit and been unimpressed that there are brass glands within the unit which aren't attached to anything. I've been back to the original company who are going to look into it, but in order for me to be properly informed could you tell me whether this is an issue (brass glands not attached to anything) and why?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
If the glands contain cables they should be securely fixed to the cu.

If the glands don't contain cables, they may have been fixed into the cu to seal up unused holes in the cu casing. If this the case, it's not a problem.

Depends if the glands are simply used for sealing / finish or if they are a requirement for a cable with earthing armour or foil needs.

Cables such as swa or metal / foil internal sheath will require the glad to have an earth contact. Easy if the CU is metal cased, if it's not metal cased (and the earth is a requirement then the gland should have an earth link to the CU earth bar.

This sort of thing for SWA glands, the tab is used to carry an earth link
TLC20.JPG

although these are popular, with the bolt / nut being the earth link termination.

PRPEN20.JPG

Sponsored Links
Common sense ( my version ) would be that extraneous metal on a consumer unit should be earthed in case of contact with live cables.

Therefore metal glands used to block hole should be earthed or replaced with non conductive closures of the openings.

It might be a metal clad CU ;)

Wouldn't it be an exposed conductive part rather than extraneous metal work if it were an insulated CU anyway?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back