Leaking bathroom sink

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm just fitting in our new basin and the water is escaping with the plug closed, i think the waste does not fit properly as it has been tightened but there is always one point where my nails fit under it quite easily, is this normal for it to not sit perfectly?

I think the nut on the bottom of the sink is ok as this water ran down the inside of the waste pipes so it didn't leak all over the floor.

Does it need any extra sealant, my brother seemed to think that maybe the rubber sealant that was supplied with the waste was not good enough, earlier when i was buying bits in B & Q the guy said it should be water tight by just tightening the waste and i shouldn't need to silcone it in.

Many thanks

P.S everything i try to fix never seems to go right first time is this normal or just my bad luck, my bathroom has taken me about 6 mths to install!!!

Sponsored Links
Under the basin waste there is usually a felt or similar washer, and its only by experience or trial and error to see how good it will be....I always use silicone here, and also at the bottom of the basin where the waste backnut goes is another trouble area...I keep a selection of polythene and rubber washers handy for this, together with the silicone. trouble is, the rubber washers slide on the silicone....!
Life's rarely easy.... you'll get there. Enjoy!
John :)

I dont know what you have used, but a basin mate, (think B&Q sell them under the Robimatic name), should give you first time seal, no leaks. If there is that much of a gap, id think either you've used wrong washer under the waste inside the basin, or there is a flaw in the casting not allowing the waste and washer to sit square.

Chris R. has a good pic of a basinmate, see FAQ's no. 5.

I bought the robimatic seal from B&Q but now i can't get the bottom part to screw on through the sink as that seal is very thick, the waste doesn't have a very long tail. Is there a seal that is as good but a bit thinner, also i wasn't sure what the white plastic collar was for, any ideas?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
The Robimatic is a good bit of kit but it doesn't fit every make and design....hence the jolly old silicone, with whatever washer the fitting came with.
Some basin wastes are entirely made from plastic, and this is exactly what they are - waste! I bin them and fit a quality brass one.
John :)

Thanks John I'm a bit worried that the sink is a bit out though as there is a biggish gap under one side, do you think this matters? would the silicone still keep it watertight? The waste is chrome the white plastic collar came with the robimatic.

Ideally there should be even gaps - if any - around the waste and the sink, but ceramic products are notorious for being inaccurate and uneven when they are moulded. So, a really good squidge of quality white silicone on the ceramic, and a bit more on the chrome rim of the waste, press down firmly and secure with the backnut, plus poly washer, plus silicone, on the underside and you'll get there!
Clean off the excess silicone as best you may as soon as you can....white spirit helps when the stuff is fresh. Leave the job for a while before testing....you'll need the time to get the silicone out from your finger nails anyway!
Have fun...John :)

Use 'The Pepper Test'

Fill the basin with water. Sprinkle some fine ground pepper onto the water.

If the pepper seeps between the plug, and the chrome surround, then you need to adjust the pop up waste screw so it closes properly.
If the pepper seeps between the chrome surround and the ceramic, then it is the waste itself not fitted/sealing.

Hope that helps.... someone :)

I always thought Plumber's Mait was the stuff to put between basin fitting and the basin itself on the top side.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back