Short circuit capacity

Sponsored Links
Depends what fuse is in the carrier, likely a BS88 or 1361, although there is a chance it is a rewireable.

You should not be in the service head, and I would not like to be messing with an old cast iron one like that.

It's a BS3036, 3kA. But you should not be interfering with DNO equipment, and especially not cast iron ones.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the fact that I (as not been a DNO employee) should not be messing around with the service head and do understand that these ones especially could be easily broke since they are old and can be very brittle.

Thanks to one and all, may all of you have a prosperous new year :eek:)

Sponsored Links
They also contain asbestos, so not the best thing to mess about with.

as the lads have said be VERY careful. I phone DNO and inform them it is cast iron, generally change within a fortnight, free of course

I used to work on the electricity board and have come across a few of these. Give your electricity supplier a call and they will upgrade it to a 100 amp cut-out free of charge :)

Inform them that its very old and brittle.

Is it any more brittle than the day it was made?

I always thought it was extremely stable substance - look how long lived pottery is, and that the sort of age this cutout has would make no difference to it.

Is it any more brittle than the day it was made?
im not sure thats what djrichie was getting at.
I always thought it was extremely stable substance - look how long lived pottery is, and that the sort of age this cutout has would make no difference to it.
again, not sure that was the intended purpose of richie's suggestion.

the head wants changing, preferably cost-free ;)

Sorry - it was the way he said "very old and brittle", as if the two were linked, i.e. its age affected its brittleness....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back