Which Drain Rods to get?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to get a set of drain rods, I am going to be using them weekly, is there any you can recomend. I have seen the universal ones and the lockfast. I know about turning the universal ones only clockwise. Any plumbers that can recomend some good ones that wont break easily and will last quite a while. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I use the Baileys blue variety.....come in a carry bag with accessories, but no chimney brush. Other makes screw on to them just the same. I've got a set of lockfast ones too, but I just remember to turn the standard ones clockwise....!
John :)

What I am looking for is a set of ultra flexy rods, that will comfortably go around wood burner flue pipe bends. Haven't found any so far!

Sponsored Links
Now that could be the answer to a sad b**stards prayer, Hugh.
Haven't come across those before and they could well fit the bill.
Much obliged for that!

I use the Baileys blue variety.....come in a carry bag with accessories, but no chimney brush. Other makes screw on to them just the same. I've got a set of lockfast ones too, but I just remember to turn the standard ones clockwise....!

which ones do you use the most, and are they easy to put together and apart?

I use the standard rods, they have a coarse brass thread and they couple together well. They also come apart with minimum effort.

You are welcome John. Not the most exciting thing on New Years Day, but working tomorrow, refuse collection catch up so beer out the question!

Dont pick a fight with the steel rods though, my gaffer did and lost his front teeth..... :eek:

as Hugh Jaleak said the steel kane rods are my best rods never let me down yet.

I used to have a set of professional steel ones with brass connections.

They were somewhat flexible to go round bends in soil pipes.

About 1200 mm long each and there were about 40 of them in the metal box which was very heavy. I used to just take a few with me.

But they were lost/stolen and since then I have just used the simple cheap plastic ones which are fine for DIY use but somewhat limiting for professional use.

Trouble is many calls are from homeowners who have already failed with the cheap ones!

Of course I really find pressure jetting is the better solution but that's so involved that not many would want to use that for less than £100 while many will use rods for much less if its quickly solved.

I don't normally do any drain work except for myself and friends. Being a clean kind of person I would always want to have a shower immediately afterwards. At least boiler repairs don't make you very dirty often!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back