Ideal Isar HE 30

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I was after some advice from you more seasoned pro's, my main job is installs but from time to time I do the odd service for friends and family. Anyway here is my problem, I was asked by a friend to have a look at his boiler as it wasn't firing up, the boiler is above named Ideal Isar HE30. The problem code is reading L9 and sometimes H9, he doesnt have the manual but when i went on line to look it mentioned a few things that it could be, so I was just wondering if any of you guys have came accross this problem before and what you think the most likely suspect is, im tempted to go with heat exchanger like stated in the manual, but that sounds like total last resort, anyway I would be gratefull to here any positive feed back.

Regards

BIGGLES1977

Sponsored Links
Well if it IS heat exchanger you won't have enough arms and legs to pay for it, so tell customer to call Ideal. Nobody's fave boiler to work on.

H9 / L9 is heat exchanger overheat
Check thermistors and pump. Make sure the boiler and system is filled and vented correctly.

A totally naff boiler that should be ripped out at the earliest opportunity and sent to Jeremy Clarkson for destruction

I had suspicions about pump as it runs for a minute if left to cool down but pipe only gets so hot before it cuts out and air flys out through the automatic air vent, which to be honest looks a bit cream crackered too. noticed what looked like a leak under pump bit might just have been condensation from when hot air vented out, but at same time looks like a few leaks from different valves too, To be honest with you im a Baxi man through and through its my prefered choice of fit and ive had no problems with them, but this is a mate and i was trying to help out, didnt want to tell him i dont rate ideal ha ha ha, cheers for ur posts tho lads, much appreciated

Sponsored Links
Most common reasons for H9 & L9.

Check system pressure.

Check pump.

Check that teh temp diff doesnt exceed 20 degrees C.

Make sure that any 'bypass' on the heating system is open and set up correctly. If the uncontrolled radiator is turned off (both llocksheilds off) it will cause overheat.

If the uncontrolled radiator is not 10% of the boilers output then that will cause overheat also.

A blockage in the boiler or on the system will also cause the same problem.

Regards.

I take it youve checked the system pressure is ok? L9 points to lack of circulation,remove the central plug and check the pump is actually turning,and doesnt appear slow.If it happens on DHW and not CH it could be the plate hex is restricted.

Thanks Garfield, I have checked the pressure and that was spot on, been and bled all rads, the pump was a little more difficult to check as its not one with the big nut on front where u take out and can put your screwdriver in to see how fast its turning if at all, its a much smaller nut that doesnt come out all of the way, when boiler is on its hard to tell if its running when I touch it to grab hold of, my brother who is also an time served heating engineer said u could put a screwdriver to pump and listen down end to see iff running but to be honest all I could really hear was the boiler burner going.

im gonna take mu multi meter tommorow to get some proper readings, regards for all of the replies I have had so far.

Biggles1977

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back