Help with Ideal Icos HE24 F/L Code.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, 8 days ago I noticed the heating had gone off, so checked the boiler and it had the flashing F/L code, after checking the online manual it was a Flame Low warning, so i hit the reset button and all was fine. Now it went off a further 5 times, each time reseting seemed to do the trick and each time there was a longer period between the code showing. It has been fine for the last 3 days and was wondering what could have caused it. The system is just over 3 years old and never had problems before.

Would a strange direction of wind on the flue cause it or fluctuations in the gas supply? as the whole country seems to have some problem the last weak with the cold?

Any advice most appreciated.

Thanks and Happy New Year!

Sponsored Links
Blocked condensate trap/sump, or possible frozen condensate pipe outside, and/or possible bent ignition electrode.

Search on here, been covered many a time with these boilers. ;)

Thank you for the quick reply! I'll do a search, i did search but i'll try again :)

So after reading many threads, looks like i am stuck with this rubbish LoL As it did it just after i started this thread :evil:

Ok the simplest thing to do first which in fact you said was to:

Take the trap off clean out, preferably using a small screwdriver, flushing won't clear everything and clean the sump, especially to the right hand side where the flue is connected.

Is this simple to do? Does involve turning the gas off and electric to the boiler. Any water to drain from anywhere? any help much appreciated.

As a side question - I assume the condense pipe is the white plastic pipe that comes from the bottom and goes outside, mine has a run of around 6 meters as it's a town house and the boiler is on the middle floor, it goes from the boiler to outside, then horizontal for 2 meters and then down into the drain.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
the condense drain is underslung on these tubs and is easily removed - can be right biatch to get back in though!

the white outside pipework should be upsized to at least 32mm and ideally be insulated.

Thanks i'll have a look at the plug!

The piping outside is not insulated - I'll take a pic of it if you like.

There is a 45 degree bend in it, so would a possible answer be that with the cold weather and maybe some sludge build up at the 45 degree bend it is freezing and the tube is being blocked?

Going to have a look at this today, but want to take cover out, so it can get serviced every year - HomeServ seem competitive - Any horror stories with these like the Ideal ones?

Thanks

Thanks i'll have a look at the plug!

The piping outside is not insulated - I'll take a pic of it if you like.

There is a 45 degree bend in it, so would a possible answer be that with the cold weather and maybe some sludge build up at the 45 degree bend it is freezing and the tube is being blocked?

no need for a picture, you just need to warm the pipe up to thaw the ice, we use a hairdryer on a warm setting to thaw them then lag the pipe with some insulation.

Going to have a look at this today, but want to take cover out, so it can get serviced every year - HomeServ seem competitive - Any horror stories with these like the Ideal ones?

Thanks
take warmsure's(xtrawarm) cover,your boiler will be serviced better and we fix homeserve's breakdowns

Thanks kevindgas - I'll do that.

idealnumber1 - I have been on there website but it's a bit vague, can't see options for the xtrawarm cover. - What does it involve?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back