Skirting boards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If you have the opportunity,would you always remove skirting boards prior to tiling?
I believe it makes for a smarter look,just wondering about any views on this,thanks

Sponsored Links
Its more work and if there's any undulation in your floor then when you sit the skirting back on you'll see the gaps under it.
Leave the skirting on and you can use latex screed or plywood to raise the floor and eliminate the gaps before tiling.
If the floor is perfectly smooth and level then fine. I know in Scandanavia they often use a quarter mould to finish off the base of skirtings, they just tear it off and renew every time the lay a floor.

it depends where your floor is. Ive just done my bathroom floor with porcelain tiles. I took my skirting boards off - but elected when I finished the floor tiles - I decided it was far smarter to create a skirting by cuttings the left over floor tiles to a skirting height (between 75mm and about 90mm) and using those. it creates a wet room feel and looks much better than replacing the skirting.

Sponsored Links
I agree with JIM456. Removing skirting boards is a lot of work and is not necessary. Our house was built with 3/4" quadrant throughout so I continued this as new rooms were added. In the conservatory I bedded the quadrant on silicone before nailing it to the skirting to get a watertight join to the tiles.

Funny, we actually just paid a tiler rather than do DIY as was worried with getting the right result. Despite this the result has not been good; lips all over the place and the tiling up to the skirting board is not straight either. The tiler says we SHOULD have removed the skirting board. (he didn't mention at the time though) Its good to have some support out there.

felix said:
I agree with JIM456. Removing skirting boards is a lot of work and is not necessary. Our house was built with 3/4" quadrant throughout so I continued this as new rooms were added. In the conservatory I bedded the quadrant on silicone before nailing it to the skirting to get a watertight join to the tiles.

I've just removed some skirting from a bedroom. Oddly the skirting was silicone sealed all the way round where it sits on top of the floor boards. I'm confused as to why it was fitted in this way. I don't think this room was a bathroom at any time (it has an en-suite). Will it be necessary to use silicone again when fitting the new skirting and any ideas as to why it was fitted like this?

Thanks
Steve

stevedo said:
I've just removed some skirting from a bedroom. Oddly the skirting was silicone sealed all the way round where it sits on top of the floor boards. I'm confused as to why it was fitted in this way. I don't think this room was a bathroom at any time (it has an en-suite). Will it be necessary to use silicone again when fitting the new skirting and any ideas as to why it was fitted like this?

Thanks
Steve

stop draughts whilst allowing expansion!!!
or to just fill in a gap

big-all said:
stevedo said:

Thanks
Steve

stop draughts whilst allowing expansion!!!
or to just fill in a gap

Yeah I thought that but there are absolutely no draughts with the skirtings removed. Also the carpet covers the bottom of the skirting where it meets the floor. The floor boards have their original "rough" finish so I think the room has always been carpeted. So I'm still not sure why they were siliconed down?

may just be shrinkage and settlement

or possibly replaced the origional floor boards with slightly thinner boards
or a combination of all three :D :D ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back