Neighbours pressure release valve discharge from boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Can anyone offer any advice on the following:

My neighbour (flat above me) has moved his boiler and the pressure release safety valve discharge is directly above my front door/porch (flat roof). Pipe has been dripping causing both my neighbour & me damp problems. I asked him to look into this and the result is that his plumber has extended the copper pipe down the wall (approx 4 to 5 meters in total) and terminated it approx 25mm above my flat roof. Pipe is still dripping (1 drip every second) and water is now leaking through my porch roof and coming out the fascia at the front. His property is lovely and dry now!!!

Neighbour says the pipe is to avoid hot water & steam being possibly blown out at high level.

I appreciate there seem to be few regs on the positioning of PRV's but my questions are:

1. Should a PRV discharge be located above my flat roof.
2. Shouldn't either the PRV terminate at high level by pointing back at the wall or copper pipe should extend down to ground level?

I have found some info about terminating onto a flat roof but it seems to be that the flat roof should be of a good size (to avoid hot spray at head height I presume) and also the roof covering of a material to withstand the heat of the discharge.

Any help would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Lee

Sponsored Links
No matter what he's causing damage to your property, he needs to sort the route of discharge and also the fact the prv is leaking

No matter what he's causing damage to your property, he needs to sort the route of discharge and also the fact the prv is leaking

Sponsored Links
yeah, sorry.

yeah, sorry.

How's you doing fella, long time no post.

Been a very busy little bee. I have been looking in from time to time.

Oh and pilfering your dropbox,(top man ;) ) its replacing a lot of lost info from the laptop and combi incident :LOL:

Still got the tumour, its nearly 12 months now :rolleyes:

So I need to get my neighbour to route his prv pipe so that it terminates on his property. Its going to look even more ugly with extra copper pipe all over the wall but better than ruining my roof.

thanks for your replies.

So good he had to say it twice but he only got thanked ONCE !

Inreading all thin it makes me wonder if this is not th condensate pipoe rather than the PRV !

A PRV should not drip continually!

A condensate pipe will if its not giving little busts every few minutes.

Of course no roof should be leaking though.

Tony

Neighbour is not going to move the prv discharge pipe but states he will fix leak then cut the pipe off approx three foot higher and turn back into the wall. This will still leave the pipe approx 4m long to bypass his window.

Surely for safety (as my front door is below) the discharge point should be as high as possible to allow any hot water to cool as much as possible before it reaches ground level?

Any thoughts would be gratefully received.

(in answer to the other question, apparantly it is not a condensing boiler)

A PRV pipe is not meant to drip continually, that indicates a fault.

You have a valid complaint about the nuisence if its always leaking.

It will only spray significant water in a very rare fault condition.

Dripping, whilst a nuisence is not dangerous to you.

Tony

Its not meant to terminate above door or a window either. Even wth it turned back to the wall water can be coming out at around 100 degrees so can still cause a nasty burn

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back