Warmaline polystyrene insulating paper

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We live in a 1930s style house with bay-fronted windows. The downstairs lounge bay area (9 inch thick solid wall) and upstairs bedroom bay area (6 inch thick solid wall) are rather cold.

I was considering putting some Warmaline insulating polystyrene paper in the bay area of these rooms and then getting angled radiators installed.

Is it really necessary to remove the wallpaper already on the walls prior to erecting the Warmaline, or could I just stick it to the already papered walls and paint over it? The lounge has woodchip paper and the bedroom has ordinary patterned paper. Both wallpapers are quite solid with no peeling or lifting, and neither bay wall is damp, just cold. We've only been in the house a year, and the previous owners hadn't decorated either room for at least 10 years.

Given that I intend to cover the bay walls with a radiator, I'm not so worried about the aesthetics of it (we'll be decorating anyway), but was wondering whether to do this first prior to the rads being fitted to try and stop the heat from the rads seeping through the bay walls.

If anyone has any comments/alternative advice I'd be grateful. I have noted some comments about condensation with warmaline before - could I end up with a problem after the rads are fitted?

Sorry for the long post! Thanks for your help.

JB

Sponsored Links
Its crappy stuff when applied to whole walls , youll always get cracks at the joints even when lining-paper is hung over it !

:( it is about 3mm thick

the cavity-wall insulation in my house is 50mm thick, and the loft insulation is 150mm thick

that thin layer makes very little difference. It is also annoyingly easy to dent, or to tear the wallpaper. It feels a bit odd. Not sure I would bother. I really don't think you'll see a difference in comfort or fuel bills. Sorry.

I have found it quite good on a badly cracked ceiling, as it makes it look flat and smooth, and is not subject to damage.

Behind the rads that silvery bubble-wrap stuff will reduce heat loss, though so is worth doing.

BTW if you are thinking about decorating, I would bite the bullet and strip off all the old stuff, and repair the plaster (the woodchip will have been put on to conceal defects)

p.s. if you have cavity walls, you can get them insulated for less than £200 and it will make a big difference. Look at the websites of your gas and electricity suppliers, and your big supermarket, to see the offers.

Also insulate the loft.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your replies. Seems this Warmaline stuff doesn't come recommended!

Will definitely put the foil backed stuff behind the radiators. Have used that in a couple of other rooms on external walls, and it seems to help.

Unfortunately we can't have cavity wall insulation as we live in a solid walled house (circa 1930s), but we have fully insulated the loft, which has helped enormously.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back