Icon 23 Hermann- Glowworm.. Diverter valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The diverter valve on our 9 year old boiler has failed.
I purchaced a genuine replacement and arranged for the guy who services the boiler to come round . he started stripping down then decided he couldn't do it for less than £300 quid. I said 5 years ago a gas fitter charged me £60 quid which was fair as there was a bit of swearing going on during the change over, it took about 2and half hours and 7 cups of tea but a good job was done. The new guy said if he did the job he would take the boiler of the wall and it was a good days work without the tea. Anyway i still only have hot water when heating is running.
If any of you Gas Safe guy's know anyone in the rm16 area of Essex who could help please get in touch. Any advice will be most appreciated
The old woman is getting the hump and the ears are getting sore. Brian...

Sponsored Links
Sounds more like the hw diaphragm than the whole diverter valve. Its certainly not a £60 job to change the diverter valve though as its a right PIA to do. £300 is a bit steep though

Thanks for that petit_pablo i know £60 is a little optimistic and £300 is a rip off. I think ill go with British gas 1 time fix fee for £210 including the parts and get my £75 back i paid for the diverter valve.
Do you think this is the way to go...

this is a perfect job for bg fixed price repair-£168.

:LOL:

Sponsored Links
I think the customer should insist the complete valve is replaced-no good doing half a job. :cool:

With a BG fixed price repair its up to them what they do to repair it.

We recently heard they just oiled a boiler fan rather than replacing it. We do that for just £84 in our local area ( although we recommend its replaced within a couple of months ).

I have replaced the diverter valve on one of those and it took me over two hours! But it was in a cupboard and very difficult to get to.

It may be time to consider a new boiler !

Tony

New diverter v/v now in water still not to good.
Nice guy from the board suggests new heat exchanger and a Magnaclean installed for £261. Is this the better option rather than Power flush.
Or should i just cut my losses and buy new boiler.
I have already laid out £210 the Gas guy said over a cuppa that once these new parts are installed all will be fine.
I feel like im ****ing in the wind at the moment as it seems one problem leads to another with no real hot water in sight. Well thats not totally true the hot water is ok if you run tap slowly.

Sounds like the plate HE is rather blocked.

They can be cleaned but BG only change them.

I did say earlier that it may be time to buy a new boiler.

Tony

Many Thanks to all you Gas Guy's 4 your advice my Icon 23t is now running like a new boiler instant hot and very quiet running.
Most important than all this i have a new boiler fitter mate who thinks this is just another simple boiler that he dont mind working on for a fair price.
Brian..

Many Thanks to all you Gas Guy's 4 your advice my Icon 23t is now running like a new boiler instant hot and very quiet running.

Brian..

But even so its still an Icon boiler !

what a horrible job it is to replace that DV. I'd want 300notes aswell!
For anyone interested its alot easier to take the plate HE and DV out in one piece for working on and also helps to cut a piece of the case to get to one of the nuts. Its also possible to change the diaphragm in situ with a bit of persuassion. The boiler is very cheap and made in Italy, but its surprisingly reliable. Statistically it was one of Group Services most reliable products! Although that could just be because so many were illegally installed without registered warranties! :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back