Mains Water Pressure now too high

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Following a new supply pipe from the road mains being fitted my water pressure is now too high. I have a Worcester Combi boiler and sep elect shower. What incoming pressure do I need at my main tap please. I have a DIY pressure guage on its way at the moment, can I regulate the pressure by turning down the new main tap in the road.

Sponsored Links
i doubt the guys on here would recommend tampering with the main stopcock, on the other hand they may suggest a pressure reducing valve which i think will keep the pressure down to around 3.5 bar, which is pretty standard.

Turning down the stopcock makes no difference to the static pressure of your water supply, it just reduces the maximum flow rate.

Partly opening the stopcock can damage the valve seat and washer, so it won't work when you need it to.

What is the problem(s) you are trying to solve by reducing the pressure

The problem is that my wife is drenched every time she turns on the kitchen tap ! Seriously though, during the recent cold spell I had what I thought was a pipe burst in the out-side laundry room. I turned off the supply for the time assuming it was due to frost etc. On looking to fix this I now find that the new pressure seems to have blown the pipes away from the sink fittings.

Sponsored Links
I used to have very high pressure off main which is 7.6bar, and keep blowing / split electric shower 3 time. I have fitted a pressure reducer valve, with gauge showing what pressure is it, and set it to 3 bar. I had no problem so far. It also help reduce flow noise.
If you need it, fit it after main stopcock.
Dan

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back