Use of flat roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello. :)
I'm renovating a very old house.
Part of which has a downstairs flat roof extension.
Building regs etc said the bedroom I extended partially out above this extension could not have a window that could be used like patio doors to access the roof and use it as a veranda.

If I accept this, what is to stop me putting ladders up to the flat roof from the garden, hauling a table and chairs up, and sitting on my own roof.

My obvious next question is, if I put a window in the bedroom capable of being stepped out from, why can't I do that and sit on the flat roof?
The view is lovely by the way.

Or, is there any reason why I can't I build a fire escape up to the roof, using that for access instead of a patio type bederoom window?

What's to stop me building a fence around the proposed flat roof seating area, and accessing it from ladders/fire escape and blood sweat and tears, or from window-type doors from the bedroom?

Complex, I appreciate. ;)

Thanks.

John ;)

Sponsored Links
If it's to do with Building Reg's, then the BCO may most likely be talking about it from a fire and structural point of view. However, the majority of flat roofs nowadays that are located below a window that is used for escape purposes are usually fire protected anyway... just so persons can exit the room (without having to rely on the staircase) via the flat roof. And from a structural point of view, well the joists may only be suitable for access/maintenance and so using the roof as a terrace/balcony would increase the loadings.

However, I would have thought planning would have been more of an issue due to overlooking. You'll find the majority of planning departments will not grant permission to terraces/balconies that can or have the opportunity in overlooking to neighbours gardens, etc... There are ways around this by fixing privacy screens or similar to prevent that but it's not pretty.

Your other option would be to install french/patio type doors but have them open inwards with a Juliet balcony type situation...

Flat-Balcony-Photo.jpg

You'd have the large openable areas to get as much daylight and you'd also have the views. And... Buidling Reg's and Planning will be happy as there is no increase to the fire risk on the flat roof and there would be no possibility of overlooking. However, the only thing you'd have to make sure is that the balcony is at a max. 1100mm from the floor level (as it would be used as an escape window/door).

Thank you very much for that very clear information.

Could you tell me a bit about the privacy screens please? The roof has new joists which are ample size for use as a patio.

And, as I said before, what's to stop me from climbing onto the roof with ladders and using it that way? If I wanted to, that is. ;)

Thanks.

Could you tell me a bit about the privacy screens please?

You'll usually find it's a condition on the planning approval that requires details of privacy screens prior to commencement of work. What it basically means is that it prevents overlooking from your terrace to neighbouring properties so if you have close neighbours on all three sides, you'd need some form of screen/block up to approx. 1.8m high. In the majority of situations (well ones I've dealt with), neighbours are on the two sides only so 1.8m high screens have been shown there but normal guarding on the rear.

And, as I said before, what's to stop me from climbing onto the roof with ladders and using it that way? If I wanted to, that is. ;)

Nothing because there may always be occasions when access is required for maintenance purposes. However, I don't think your neighbour(s) would be too happy and may even go to the extent of reporting it/you to the LA who then may take a view that you have created usable space and would therefore require a planning application. There's no harm in asking the question though to see what the planning department would or would not be happy with if the flat roof was to be used as a terrace/balcony.

Sponsored Links
I'm renovating a very old house.
Part of which has a downstairs flat roof extension.
Building regs etc said the bedroom I extended partially out above this extension could not have a window that could be used like patio doors to access the roof and use it as a veranda.

Presumably this is because there's no railing, parapet or other means of enclosure to stop you falling off. My understanding of the Building Regs is that you need a 1.1m high enclosure around the veranda.

If I accept this, what is to stop me putting ladders up to the flat roof from the garden, hauling a table and chairs up, and sitting on my own roof.

Nothing, apart from common sense and the foresight that you might fall off and break your neck.

if I put a window in the bedroom capable of being stepped out from, why can't I do that and sit on the flat roof?

From a planning perspective, you can do exactly that. From the Building Regs point of view, the installation of patio doors would encourage and condone the use of a flat roof for a purpose which is dangerous. You can step out of any domestic window if you really want to (and for fire safety this is actually desirable) but that wouldn't be an excuse to replace all your windows with doors.

What's to stop me building a fence around the proposed flat roof seating area

Schedule 2, Part 1, Class A of the Town and Country Planning (General Permitted Development) Order 2008 will stop you.

Condition A.1(i)(i) expressly forbids any alteration to a dwellinghouse that consists of the construction or provision of a veranda, balcony or raised platform.

You could just make an application for planning permission to enclose the flat roof with an appropriately detailed railing. You could then replace the window with a door under your permitted development rights (provided the window is not on a side elevation of the house).

Thanks very, very much for all your replies.
I've posted questions in many of these forums over the years and always had an excellent response.
This is the first question I've posted in this one.
Your replies have been the most detailed, concise and patient I've ever had. :D
Thanks to all once again very very much.
And you do it for free!
John ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back