What counts as a "simular matirial" for a PD exten

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The requirement for "simular matirials" in the PD guidence seems a bit vague. Just how "simular" does the matirial have to be? For example, finding bricks to match the original bricks my house is built from will be almost impossible. Just how simular do the bricks need to be?

Also I am considering building an extension which due to bedroom windows would need a flat roof, however as my house has a tiled roof, would a flat roof be allowed as it's not "simular" to the original roof?

Sponsored Links
As close a match of bricks that you can find will be acceptable. Any grey finished flat roof material will be acceptable unless you are in a particularly sensitive area eg EPDM, felt or GRP etc.

I'd disagree. If you do not have any existing flat roofs, then I can't see how proposing a flat roof would be "similar". Similar to what... it doesn't exist? However, there could be ways round it. If the flat roof element was not externally visible, then I can't see it being a "major" problem. If it was at high level (i.e. inline with the ridge tile), then that may cause a few problems. You could pitch the roof as normal, have tiles to match existing and then trim out around the windows? A little more work but that would be deemed "similar".

I'd disagree. If you do not have any existing flat roofs, then I can't see how proposing a flat roof would be "similar". Similar to what... it doesn't exist?
Don't be so daft, a client comes to you and says I want a flat roof extension under PD where there is no flat roof on his house previously and you suggest he works a pitched roof into the design? You would avoid a flat roof dormer some how too I guess? :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't hesitate in suggesting it, but our LPA would not accept it. I've been picked up on it in the past that "similar" has not been maintained. As I said, ways round it would be to drop the flat roof element so it's not visible, but putting for example a rolled lead flat roof on top would not be considered similar.

Your argument is flawed as is your LPA's. If this ethos was maintained then no flat roof extensions would be PD if the house did not have a flat roof to match.

I was going to ask a similar questionas the OP but then came across this.

What if I wanted to render my single storey extension walls where the existing house has exposed brick or vice versa?

DOH - you're not in Acton/Hounslow by any chance are you? I heard similar things from a friend there who said the council does not approve flat dormer roof extensions or full size ones or something like that.

Seeing as there is usually there is no time limit by when you have to complete the works, You could build it in brick, even though your PD application said it would be rendered, you could then take a very very very very very long time to render it if you get my gist! ;)

That's clear but then do the council not issue a certificate if approval when completed (I'm not confusing with B regs which I know is needed). Or is it only given on planning applications when built or am I talking **** and its only a figure of my imagination?

What's your view of exposed brick v rendered extensions? More maintainance on the latter right?

They don’t issue a certificate upon competition for planning, you can take forever if you wish. Render is obviously higher maintenance. You can get through coloured renders 9at higher cost) which reduces the periods between maintenance ie painting. Even through coloured rendered starts to look a bit patchy after a while.

DOH - you're not in Acton/Hounslow by any chance are you? I heard similar things from a friend there who said the council does not approve flat dormer roof extensions or full size ones or something like that.

Nope, some 30 miles away.

What if I wanted to render my single storey extension walls where the existing house has exposed brick or vice versa?
But who would want to do that? Most people would avoid render unless matching in with existing. So the best options will always be brick:brick and render:render.

But who would want to do that? Most people would avoid render unless matching in with existing. So the best options will always be brick:brick and render:render.

It would be the best option - but to answer his question, It would require planning permission. (Part 1 Class A (3) Materials used in exterior work shall be similar in appearance to those used on the exterior of the existing house)

As a side note - not approving a flat roof extension (Under PD) is ridiculous. It says "the materials" shall be of a similar appearance, it says nothing about the design. Have they got any appeal decisions backing their arguement up??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back