cutting a high gloss kitchen door - possible or not?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello folks,

Does anyone know if it is possible to cut a high gloss door (white slab) to reduce it's height. We've changed our layout a bit, but in doing so have a 500mm wall unit that needs to be trimmed down by approx 200mm. Is it possible to do and leave a decent, straight finish. The cut edge will be on top with the pelmet close above it. I'm not sure whether the hinge will need to be moved down, but imagine so (I'll cross that bridge later.) I'm a reasonably competent diyer, but always find I get a cleaner/straighter cut with a hand saw than a jigsaw/circular saw. I imagine the gloss layer will chip and splinter. What do you reckon?
(pity I can't take the door down to my local b&q and get them to do it! they cut laminate worktops really well.)

Sponsored Links
I'd give it a go - but I'd put masking tape all around the area to be cut, and draw my cutting line on that.
I'd then score the cutting line very carefully with a Stanley knife, all of the way round, then cut down to that line with a dovetail or fine toothed tenon saw.
You'll still be left with a bare edge which could be touched in with some paint.
With care, you'd never know....!
John :)

use a router and streight edge, in a few passes, workes when doing worktops

never come acoss a dovetail saw before (imagine it's very fine toothed - for joints) but might investigate it. It's going to require some accuracy to saw along a scribed line by hand - slow and ateady as she goes!

what kind of router blade is used for trimming the rough edge?

Sponsored Links
do it the easy way with confidence ;)

6mm mdf on each face with an offcut a minimum of 50mm on the breakout edge
batton clamped on saw set for 2mm more than door [6mm+15mm+6mm=30mm depth]and cut

Hi Sen

Have cut silimar doors sucessfully using a combination of above.
Use masking tape to protect surface and mark cut. Using circular saw with fine tooth tunsten carbide blade clamp down workpiece and a guide batton and cut. Just remember to cut with gloss side down so this face won't chip - will work ok.

If you only have one door to do and are not confident then set up and do a test on the waste side of your finish cut. Hope this helps

TonyV

some useful tips. thanks.

Can't get a door at the height I need, hence having to cut :rolleyes:

I do plan to try a few different methods before the final cut... hopefully practise will make perfect!

When people mention "marking" and "scribing" do they just mean scoring with something like a stanley knife, or is there a more suitable tool/method.

Either way, with a laminate or melamine finish, scoring along the line with a Stanley knife or similar will minimise chipping.
John :)

thanks. some useful advice.

What woyld be a good blade for the circular saw? how many teeth in "fine"? As I only have 2 doors and a couple of end panels, I don't need something to last forever.

What's the best method to keep the ine straight? will clamping a wooden baton be ok, or should I invest in a guide clamp?

Hi Sen

As for choice of blade - ask for advice from wholesaler you are purchasing from or look at screwfix site - advise there - to suit your saw (ID / OD and RPM).

As for cutting you just need to clamp straightedge (batton) to the workpiece (with overhang allowowing for push through)and then clamp the whole lot down to a bench or whatever you have to hand so it is solid, and you can cut using straightedge without worry of anything moving.
Ask again if this is still not clear.

TonyV

do you score the line first, before cutting? or just cut straight over the masking tape?

The only bit i'm not sure about is when the saw initially makes contact with the door and when it pushes out after the cut. How do I prevent any chipping on those side edges?

decided to go for one of these

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/85133...Circular-Saw-Blade-80T-216x20-25-30mm#reviews

would it not be wise to go for a blade that is cheaper and has more teeth (think I know the answer!)

Hi,

Is it a laminate finish or a lacquered finish???
Would it not be simpler to buy a door that size there are avarious companies on line that do that sort of stuff

you could also try one that I use and recommend;

www.elizajames.co.uk

Regards,
JR

Hi Seneca

Ok you got your blade and lots of advice. If you are not carefull you will go into information overload, from what peoples personal preferences are - you need to cut some wood :LOL:

TonyV

I have the same task ahead of me, will save myself £100 by cutting the doors to size instead of buying the correct size wall cabinates from B&Q.
Wish me luck :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back