the combi boiler explodes, and the plasterer dies

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need some advice please (and possibly a dose of sarcasm too) regarding the following situation:

Thanks to my unflinching laziness when it came to plastering our hall, my genius of a wife hired a plasterer to do the job, and the white powder covered cretin removed one of our radiators and left us without heating & hot water when he left on monday afternoon. Having as much experience of boilers as I do of playboy bunnies, I decided not to mess with it, but lack of knowledge and/or braincells didn't discourage the plasterer as he decided to have a crack at it on tuesday morning while I was at work, and he managed to get it to explode, something I haven't been able to do with the old boiler who shares my bed in quite some time.

According to the dollop wielding dimwit, he had hit the 'reset' button on the combi boiler several times and had asked his mate to turn on a hot water tap when there was an explosion, which has now obviously ruined the boiler's chances of winning "most attractive heating implement 2010".

A British Gas engineer reared his expensive, ugly head this morning and after inspecting the boiler told my missus that it was beyond repair thanks to the burnt out combustion chamber. The boiler is 10 years old, and is apparently made by Britony ( I wondered what she had been doing after that singing malarkey).

So, is the plasterer responsible for the damage? Or do combi-boilers randomly explode for no good reason and are soon to replace IEDs as the roadside weapon of choice for insurgents in iraq?

Thanks in advance for any logical, reasonable and/or entertaining replies.

two final questions: if he had failed to open the valve that allows cold water to flow into the boiler could that lead to an explosion?

Would I be better going with a corgi engineer rather than British Gas when it comes to replacing the boiler?

cheers

Sponsored Links
a 10yr old brittony eh? he probably done you a favour :D

Honestly though, without a full report from a proffessional on the cause of the fault or your plasterer admitting liability you will struggle to "make" him pay for it. Unfortunately we don't know exactly what he done or what actual damage has been caused so impossible to advise.

Some hand wringing ****ehawk from British Gas is coming out tomorrow to give my missus a quote for a new boiler. Should it be treated with a pinch of salt? Any recommendations of a reliable corgi engineer in the wigan area who could do the job instead without it costing a ruby encrusted arm and a leg?

Cheers

I don't quite understand your remark's on the british gas engineer ??? or the reason's for them ???? did he do something wrong ???

Sponsored Links
I thought the general consensus was that British Gas, given the chance, will rip you off more times than a 'payment up front' prostitute with short term memory problems. Apologies, however, if I've misread the sentiment and British Gas are, in fact, the bee's knees.

If u think hes gonna rip u off why ask for a quote and why get bg out in the first place.the common opinion with people is 'oh hes trying to get me 2 buy a new boiler'or 'oh is he gonna rip me off'??why ring in the first place????

I thought the general consensus was that British Gas, given the chance, will rip you off more times than a 'payment up front' prostitute with short term memory problems. Apologies, however, if I've misread the sentiment and British Gas are, in fact, the bee's knees.

If that is your opinion why did you get british gas to look at your boiler in the 1st place ???

If that is your opinion why did you get british gas to look at your boiler in the 1st place ???

Because we have British Gas Home Care cover at the most expensive level, so we were thick enough to think that we might actually get a Boiler repair out of it.

Because we have British Gas Home Care cover at the most expensive level, so we were thick enough to think that we might actually get a Boiler repair out of it.

the only way you shouldnt be getting a repair is if the parts are not available.

So because they will not repair your boiler hence , your original comment or remark about the british gas engineer ???

How u gonna get a boiler repair cos sum numptys been playing about with a gas boiler that he knows nothing bout?3rd party fault etc,nobody would cover that. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back