DIYnot
Local | Network
   DIYnot > Forums
Local | Network
DIYnot Network Local DIYnot Network Local  
  Forum IndexForum Index     RulesRules    HelpHelp     Join FREERegister Free     About CookiesCookies     SearchSearch     LoginLogin 

Noggins needed to plasterboard this ceiling?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Plastering and Rendering
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikeymo

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:17 pm Reply with quote

Room is a bathroom, 7.5 feet by 9 feet. Old lathe and plaster ceiling. Rough, patchy and I'm having a ceiling mounted fan fitted.

So I think I'll take the old one down and replace with plasterboard and get someone to skim it.

The ceiling joists are at 12 inch centres. The joists go across the short way, across the 7.5 feet width. So the 'bound' edge of the boards go across the joists and the 'cut' ends butt together at a joist, yes?

But do I need to fix the bound edges to noggins between the joists?

What board thickness does anybody reccomend?

Thinking about it if I use 8' x 4' board (but cut down a lot lengthways) this is going to be 4 pieces, but with long cut edges down the edge, against the wall. I'm expecting to tuck those in above the existing wall plaster. Is that enough or do I need noggins to support those?

Many thanks.

Presumably foil backed in a bathroom.
 Alert Moderators

If you do not want to see this advert, click here to login or if you are new click here to join free.
Micilin

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:19 pm Reply with quote

Use a 12.5 board or thicker - you could use a firelined or soundblock board if there is a need.

You want a noggin wherever boards butt together ie join at the narrowest edge, and one around the perimeter . The boards should not 'flap' when fixed
 Alert Moderators
Richard C

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:47 am Reply with quote

Iím assuming youíre skimming & not tape & fill. Use 12.5mm as stated but if your joists are spaced @ 300mm, you don't need to fit intermediate noggins; you can safely go up to 450mm joist spacing with 12.5mm boards no problem. Strictly speaking, you should have noggins to support the two perimeter edges but it should be OK @ 300mm. Board across the joists as you said but stagger the board joints to avoid cracks developing. You donít really need Duplex (foil back) but it wonít do any harm.
 Alert Moderators
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Plastering and Rendering All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: