minor works but lack of rcd

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a job tomorrow to do some electrical work in a kitchen. The job involves moving existing sockets and adding a few more, the rfc is present at the existing sockets and already checked continuity.

I will be issuing a minor works cert and notifying the work, the problem i have is the existing circuit is supplied by an old wylex board & 3036 fuses, no rcd protection.

The home owner does not want to change the board, where does that leave me with the job, do i have to provide a small rcd enclosure to protect just that circuit or can i advise the customer and note the lack of rcd protection on my certificate.

Sponsored Links
Depending on how you'll be running your cabling and what the sockets are going to be used for then you'll either want to comply with BS7671 or not want to comply with BS7671.

Your Minor Works Certificate should have a departures box (Part 1) where you can detail a not compliance with BS7671.
The declaration (Part 4) you sign will state that the work complies with BS7671 except as detailed in Part 1.

Personally though, it would be RCD or walk away. Go with the guys above and install an RCD within an enclosure by the existing CU.

Sponsored Links
There is also the issue of correction factors for the 3036's crappy fusing factor which will make most domestic circuits on a 3036 out of spec on cable rating.

I'd say replacing the fuse with either a MCB or a 1361 and fitting a RCD next to the CU is the best way to go if they don't want a new board

Also if the installation is old enough to have a BS3036 board, is there main protective bonding installed at the property?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back