Cable/Conduit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can you clever chaps advise?: I am in the process of fitting a 9.5kw shower. The old shower cable was run (unprotected!) up the outside wall and into the loft, then to the shower. As I am using 10mm cable should I run it inside metal conduit inside as well as outside to the shower via the attic. Your advice would be appreciated. :)

Sponsored Links
i would like to see you try and get a 10mm twin and earth cable inside a conduit

if it must go outside it should go in suitable trunking / capping, or you could use a steel wire armoued cable, or keep it all inside

breezer said:
i would like to see you try and get a 10mm twin and earth cable inside a conduit

if it must go outside it should go in suitable trunking / capping, or you could use a steel wire armoued cable, or keep it all inside

Running cable outside is the easiest option, the fuseboard being in the garage of our linked/detached house. Ive no worries running thru conduit (32mm) your welcome to watch. However my question was whether I should protect the cable inside the attic with conduit/trunking as I am aware it must run over the joists and not under the loft insulation.

Thanks to you and Sheds for taking the time to answer. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Frankie_Johnie said:
However my question was whether I should protect the cable inside the attic with conduit/trunking
Unless you're a DNO of course.

Fancy this in your loft:confused:

earthout.jpg

BAS - are those cables in the loft uninsulated?

wouldnt like those in my loft!

Still, at least those nice thick cables in the loft obviate the need for a decent depth of thermal insulation!

And the fascias look a bit ropey too!

So that's a yes then :confused:

I must seem ultra cautious but all my attempts for straight forward advise regards running 10mm cable for a 9.5kw shower has been damned frustrating! No problems with electrics till now: "don't run in insulation as it may overheat" one of a few things I never truly thought of. Damn my honesty! "Protect cable from dust" another.

Still, better to do my homework rather than do what the previous homeowner did. Cut into the 6mm shower cable and splice in a 1mm spur for the mirror light! :eek:

[/img]

The twin and earth will be fine in the loft (outside the lagging insulation) with no further protection other than its outer jacket, if you can route it in such away it cannot be mechanically damaged by the normal moving of 'stuff' likely to be in a loft. (The same is true of a lighting wiring), so if its clipped neatly to the sides of the joists, or to battens attached to the sloping bits (come one someone tell me the proper name for this) and crosses joists only in places where it cannot be trodden on or pinched, then you have no problem.
Otherwise yes, if it can't be routed safely, then protect it.
Usual cause of accidents is if the loft is floored out and cables that were obvious to the original installer are suddenly crushed beteen floor and wood work suffering in the darkness. (lifting the floor panels on battens omnn the joists is a partial solution, but you need to mark it "cable below " as the cable will not be deep enough below the floor to avoid being nailed so it is not a proper installation method.)

If you must keep the 1mm spur from something unsuitable, at leaast add a 3A or 5A fuse in line, though ideally transfer it to the nearest lighting circuit feed, probably L and N at the nearest ceiling rose.
regards M.

Frankie_Johnie said:
Still, better to do my homework rather than do what the previous homeowner did. Cut into the 6mm shower cable and splice in a 1mm spur for the mirror light! :eek:

Thank you very much Mapj1. Very much appreciated.
The 1mm spur from the previous shower cable was in fact clear old fashioned bell wire. He had cut into the 6mm cable,
attached a block, then ran the bell wire to the light above the sink.
That was just one of many horrors I came across in
the attic. More bell wire, running from the bedroom ceiling rose to a
lampholder to run a light in the attic. It had bare wire at
the baton holder which was live each time the
bedroom light was switched on. :evil:

Try getting a Part P, NIC or ECA registered electrician to carry out the work..

It is a criminal offence not to comply with the Building Regulations. Moreover, a local authority may serve an enforcement notice requiring you to remove the work or to put it right. You should also bear in mind that the local authority may enter the details of the offending work in the local land charges register. This could then come to light when you attempt to sell your property.

Why are you replying to a post over a year old?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back