DIYnot
Local | Network
   DIYnot > Forums
Local | Network
DIYnot Network Local DIYnot Network Local  
  Forum IndexForum Index     RulesRules    HelpHelp     Join FREERegister Free     About CookiesCookies     SearchSearch     LoginLogin 

Dry verge repair and bird nests

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Roofing and Guttering
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bluetooth

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:59 am Reply with quote

I have a dry verge on the gable end of my (4 bed detached) house. It was fitted by a professional, but has never seemed right - it is loose and moves in the wind (the builder who did it went into liquidation a few years ago). At one end, above a gutter, we have had a birds nest (starlings) for several years (they are not in the loft space, just between the walls I think). Despite a number of refixings at this end the birds keep getting in.

The gable end looks a mess, sometimes the birds keep my children awake, and I'm concerned about unseen damage the birds might be doing (might there be a damp patch in this corner in due course).

I now want the whole of the dry verge removing, refixing properly and any gaps sealed by a professional so the birds can't get back. I've been quoted 520 + VAT, which includes the hire of a hydraulic platform. My wife would rather leave it alone, because of the cost and because she doesn't trust any builder to repair it correctly.

Could anyone advise me if the cost I have been quoted is reasonable, and, if we do decide to leave the gable end as it is, are we likely to suffer any long term damage (either from birds or from rain getting in where the verge is loose)?
 Alert Moderators

If you do not want to see this advert, click here to login or if you are new click here to join free.
Mw Roofline

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:01 pm Reply with quote

First of all did the 'professional' rake out the old mortar and extend the tiling lath out to nail the dry verges on or did he just stick them on top of the cemented verge?
The following user says thank you to Mw Roofline for this useful post:
Bluetooth (26 Jun 2010)
 Alert Moderators
Cumbrianroofer30yrsexp

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:40 pm Reply with quote

Also if it was done by a professional it certanly would not move.As for the birds nests?he has not fitted the stopper on the bottom of the first unit.Me also thinks he has just fitted it to the existing render.
The following user says thank you to Cumbrianroofer30yrsexp for this useful post:
Bluetooth (26 Jun 2010)
 Alert Moderators
alastairreid

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:41 pm Reply with quote

or the verge pieces have not been connected together properly.
The following user says thank you to alastairreid for this useful post:
Bluetooth (26 Jun 2010)
 Alert Moderators
Bluetooth

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:31 pm Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. I think I might understand why I have problems with the dry verge and what needs to be done to correct it. Does anyone have a view on the cost, or what damage might be caused if the verge is just left as it is, birds nest included?
 Alert Moderators
alastairreid

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:22 am Reply with quote

the verges will loosen off more as they rattle about through time! eventually you will loose them.
not a good idea to have wildlife camping out in your roofline either, best to address the problem before winter comes back round.
The following user says thank you to alastairreid for this useful post:
Bluetooth (30 Jun 2010)
 Alert Moderators
Mw Roofline

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:08 am Reply with quote

Bluetooth wrote:
Thanks for the replies. I think I might understand why I have problems with the dry verge and what needs to be done to correct it. Does anyone have a view on the cost, or what damage might be caused if the verge is just left as it is, birds nest included?

Do you really likethe DV? Personally you cant beat traditional mortar, maybe go back to how it was? The birds won't really spread throughout the roof, they normally just hang around the same area, they won't like peck at the roofing timbers but their poo will ruin the roofing felt if they are onto op it.
The following user says thank you to Mw Roofline for this useful post:
Bluetooth (30 Jun 2010)
 Alert Moderators
Bluetooth

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:15 am Reply with quote

One reason I had the DV fitted was that the birds pecked away at the mortar. I thought the DV would stop them, but it didn't. Not sure how practical it would be to go back to mortar even if it could be made bird proof.
 Alert Moderators
JohnD

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:36 am Reply with quote

the mortar in my verges falls out, even when done (so far as I can tell) by a skilled and careful roofer. I would be much happier with a retrofitted dry verge system

Login to view this image

Login to view this image
 Alert Moderators
Bluetooth

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:38 pm Reply with quote

JohnD,
I can appreciate what you say about dry verge versus mortar. Some houseowners nearby have dry verge, some have mortar. If done well both look good and seem to last a reasonable time, but the mortar needs occasional repair, particularly if subject to the worst of the weather. My problem is that the dry verge wasn't done well in the first instance (wasn't nailed or screwed to battens), although I didn't know that until we had some bad weather months later.
 Alert Moderators
Cumbrianroofer30yrsexp

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:12 pm Reply with quote

Dry verge is very good if fitted in the correct wat imo head and shoulders about mortar.
 Alert Moderators
JohnD

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:21 pm Reply with quote

but I understand is difficult to retrofit to an old roof?
 Alert Moderators
bflyfloat

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 10:28 am Reply with quote

There are a couple of approaches for retro fitting dry verges that I'm aware of. One involves removing the verge tiles and extending the roof battens and/or use of clips. The verge is then fitted to these. Alternatively a batten could be fitted along the gable wall and this used to secure the dry verge. If you're confident and have experience with DIY then it may be an interesting DIY project but it's important that you have a thorough understanding of your situation and instructions on how to fit them. You can buy dry verges in local builders merchants or online. You can buy Klober Uni-Dry Verges on eBay, just search for "klober dry verge".
 Alert Moderators
Mw Roofline

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 6:53 pm Reply with quote

bflyfloat wrote:
There are a couple of approaches for retro fitting dry verges that I'm aware of. One involves removing the verge tiles and extending the roof battens and/or use of clips. The verge is then fitted to these. Alternatively a batten could be fitted along the gable wall and this used to secure the dry verge. If you're confident and have experience with DIY then it may be an interesting DIY project but it's important that you have a thorough understanding of your situation and instructions on how to fit them. You can buy dry verges in local builders merchants or online. You can buy Klober Uni-Dry Verges on eBay, just search for "klober dry verge".

Or Manthorpe dry verge which are a bit more robust than Klober
 Alert Moderators
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Roofing and Guttering All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: