DIYnot
Local | Network
   DIYnot > Forums
Local | Network
DIYnot Network Local DIYnot Network Local  
  Forum IndexForum Index     RulesRules    HelpHelp     Join FREERegister Free     About CookiesCookies     SearchSearch     LoginLogin 

Glass banisters

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Floors, Stairs and Lofts
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tigger5

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:47 pm Reply with quote

Hi, please help! I am trying to convince my other half that having glass banisters instead of wooden spindles on our banisters is a good idea. Has anyone done this, can anyone offer any advice and more importantly pictures?!?

Good idea/bad idea????
 Alert Moderators

If you do not want to see this advert, click here to login or if you are new click here to join free.
OwainDIYer

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:52 pm Reply with quote

It'll show fingermarks, especially if you have children.
 Alert Moderators
freddymercurystwin

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:26 pm Reply with quote

Alert Moderators
big-all

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:08 am Reply with quote

Tigger5 wrote:
Hi, please help! I am trying to convince my other half that having glass banisters instead of wooden spindles on our banisters is a good idea. Has anyone done this, can anyone offer any advice and more importantly pictures?!?

Good idea/bad idea????

you do realise they are about 5 times the price or around 900 dependant on size an if you are fitting
 Alert Moderators
freddymercurystwin

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:02 am Reply with quote

So much negativity and reluctance to change on this site, tis a reflection of the whole industry though.
 Alert Moderators
mointainwalker

from France

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:28 pm Reply with quote

@FMT

I think it relects on professionals' experience that most people are unaware of the problems/flaws/ cost of their fanciful musings and that when these are pointed out, the "Oh" moment happens and 90% die there and then.

Airing the negative points early on can prevent a lot of wasted time for all concerned.
 Alert Moderators
big-all

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:27 pm Reply with quote

when someone puts "good idea bad idea!!!"
thats the most obvious sign they havent even done the basic checks so need full guidance to relivent points cost being the biggest factor to most people is worth a mention icon_biggrin.gif icon_wink.gif
 Alert Moderators
Tigger5

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:40 pm Reply with quote

Thank you for your help - didn't mean to cause an argument. Can I just point out that I have had it all costed, I am fully aware of the costs and I have had professionals in to give me all the information. I do have kids so yes, fingerprints would be an issue but no more hard work cleaning the glass than trying to clean the dust from between the spindles of a traditional staircase. Was really just after some piccies so could get a proper idea of what it would look like and to see if anyone had done it in their own homes.
 Alert Moderators
mointainwalker

from France

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:01 pm Reply with quote

If you think THAT's an argument, you should look at the Plumbing and Electrical forums icon_eek.gif
 Alert Moderators
joinerjohn

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:06 pm Reply with quote

mointainwalker wrote:
@FMT

I think it relects on professionals' experience that most people are unaware of the problems/flaws/ cost of their fanciful musings and that when these are pointed out, the "Oh" moment happens and 90% die there and then.

Airing the negative points early on can prevent a lot of wasted time for all concerned.

For all we know the OP may have won the lottery on a triple rollover. The phrase " The customer is always right." springs to mind.
Or put another way, If a customer approaches you and wants a job doing in glass, mahogany, sterling silver, solid gold etc. and has the money to pay, would you turn down the work, If you were capable of doing it??

The OP could well be creating something that will appear on the pages of some upmarket glossy magazine . And feel very proud that he at least had some input on the finished product icon_wink.gif icon_wink.gif icon_wink.gif icon_wink.gif

May well be after a home that features on Grand Designs (just to make the rest of us insanely jealous) icon_wink.gif icon_wink.gif icon_wink.gif icon_wink.gif icon_wink.gif
 Alert Moderators
Northbeach

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:00 pm Reply with quote

freddymercurystwin wrote:
http://www.google.co.uk/images?um=1&hl=en&tbs=isch%3A1&sa=1&q=glass+stair+balustrading&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=
Decide for yourself.

Wow, now those are some stairs. Saying that, there's a couple on there which look completely...wrong:

I think this fits snugly into the 'bad idea' camp:

Whereas this looks quite stunning (not entirely sure it's ideal for kids mind!):

I suppose it has to be fairly truthful to the setting. Sounds very expensive mind - is there not a way to craft such things yourself (finding a local safety glass merchant etc) or am I in cloud cuckoo land once again?
 Alert Moderators
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Floors, Stairs and Lofts All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: