House re-wire Norfolk

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a friend (just the one) who has a house near Beccles in Norfolk that requires some electrical assistance.

Basically he requires the consumer unit updated and moved into the house from the garage plus a couple of other jobs.

Anyone on here from that area and fancy a look????

Sponsored Links
Best is for him to go to www.competentperson.co.uk and type in his postcode.
Get three registered electricians to quote.
Firstly, make a complete list of what is required in each room. Give the same list to each spark, then you can compare like for like.

Some things to think about (thanks to BAS for the list)

* Upstairs sockets
* Downstairs sockets
* Kitchen sockets
* Circuit for appliances
* Cooker circuit
* Non-RCD circuit for F/F
* Non-RCD circuit for CH boiler
* Dedicated circuit for hifi
* Dedicated circuit for IT equipment
* Upstairs lights
* Downstairs lights
* Immersion heater
* Loft lights
* Shower
* Bathroom circuit
* Alarms
* Supply for outside lights
* Supply for garden electrics
* Supply for shed/garage

PS Have they really got electricity in Norfolk now? Blimey!

Thank TTC.

Was hoping that someone on here might be near by and fancied a go at it, advising him whats needed and possibly picking up some work but it seems no one is close enough.....ho hum, of to the yellow pages.

As ever, personal recommendations are always the best way to find a reputable tradesman, but if you're having to go ahead without much in the way of those, or references, don't put any store by registration itself - sadly it is possible to become registered with woefully inadequate qualifications and zero practical experience. You don't have to spend long here to see people cropping up who are registered and "qualified", but who are clearly seriously incompetent in reality and who should not be charging for their services. There's no guarantee that an electrician you choose because he is registered has ever done a rewire before.

It's your money, £'000s of it, and you have every right to ask prospective tradesmen what their qualifications are. Just being listed here is not a good enough guide. No genuinely experienced electrician, with the "full set" of C&G qualifications will mind you asking - in fact he will wish that everyone was like you.

I feel sorry for people who have been misled by training organisations and (shamefully) the Competent Person scheme organisers into thinking that a 5-day training course, a couple of trivial examples of their work and some basic understanding of how to use test equipment will make them an electrician, but not sorry enough to agree with them trying to sell their services to Joe Public.

Sponsored Links
BAS thanks for the post, there reason I asked here is because I have been a member for a while (watching the electrics forum and others) and I know that there are some real 'good guys' on here who are helpful and knowledgeable with electrical questions. I was just hoping that one of them would be based in Norfolk and fancied a job with an good client who needs advise and work done.

I have done the competent person course myself and realised that my knowledge base is very lacking and any works I have done previously have been for myself and I asked lots of questions of the right sort to the right people before I started, I was and am NOT an ELECTRCIAN.

When I was made redundant I did look at the C&G courses but being 43 I thought it was a bit late for me to start working towards these things and defintely too late to be working hard for a living :) :)

What I want for my friend is that whomever he gets out starts making suggestions of what to do to make things correct and up to date and overall safe for another 20yrs for him. The money side is not that big an issue as he needs the work to be done and he knows he has to pay for it, but so far he's had two people round who didn't make notes, open anything up for a look or show much interest and he hasn't even had a quote back yet!!

If he still doesn't get any joy I will post on here what he requires and get some advise on writing a specification for him to use for pricing.

BAS: I agree with what you've said here 100%

Also, I am a fully qualified Electrician with all the relevant C&G quals. I'm also registered with a scam provider and I can provide good references. I reside in the county you speak of Daz. If you want you can PM me and we'll talk.

Thanks BAS

Here goes witha descriptino of the works:

The existing incoming main is located in the garage I'm not sure on type.
The existing 'fuse unit' is old and has about 4 fuses in it currently, one of which has three circiuts on it!!
The cable route to the house (a three bed bunbalow) is underground via a circular pipe which I assume comes up in the corner of the house, adjacent to the garage, inside the cavity and into the loft where it is distributed around the bungalow.
The house has the standard circuits, power, lighting, cooker plus a warm air blower unit which blows though channels in the flooring.
I'm not 100% sur eif any of this requires re-newing but it should be checked and ok'd where appropriate.

The new works consist of:
Moving the consumer unit inside the house, this will require new tails from the meter going through the underfloor channel and across the loft to the new location (approx 15-20 metres). The CU should be up to date and include enough circuits for the original plus exterior lighting, 2no showers, alarm, heating to new conservatory plus any others required.
All existing circuits require moving to the new location (should be enough slack already!!)
In the garage another CU will be required for the gargae circuits and external power requirements to the garden.

Obviously with 2no electric showers, cooker, warm air blower and immersion heater the requirements are high but I imagine everything can be accommodated with diversity etc.

Any thoughts are welcome. :D

Two showers, why?? Do you not have hot water in your house?
Why not have a shower pump, or change your system to a pressurised one.

TTC.............Not my house!

My friend has a family bathroom and an en suite for the master bedroom, I did suggest running the family shower from the H&C with a pump but he has had all the pipework removed when he renewed the bathroom suite.

He's doing things a bit at a time and arse backwards but what can I do!!! :D

Have you checked that your supply can even supply that amount??

I would not recommend that two 'instant' showers are connected to a normal house single phase supply.

Let's be generous and say each shower is relatively small at 8.5KW. Thats 37amps each.

So, if both are in use that is 74amps. We cannot use diversity for instant heat items like a shower.

Turn on the washing machine and a kettle together with the general household requirements (you'll be needing lights, I suppose?) and you'll be calling the electricity company out to replace the supply fuse.

:eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back