GARAGE - SPLIT LOAD CONSUMER UNIT

Sponsored Links
Does the cable reach inside the outbuilding? If so, then use an adaptable box to convert the SWA to twin-and-earth (or to extend using SWA again). Use a box with 20mm knock-outs for the SWA gland(s).

Whether you use a metal or plastic box depends on your earthing arrangements. If you're not exporting the equipotential bonding (and it sounds like you're not) then you can use a metal box.

Use a banjo and bolt to connect the SWA CPC to its armour and to the new CU earth terminal. Some adaptable boxes come with a terminal block inside.

Hi
Thank you very much for your help. Yeah, the cable does reach inside the outbuilding, although after its point of entry only manages about 1.3 metres up the wall. so, i will go with the twin and earth option, as explained above. I have purchased a plastic adaptable box and will convert the SWA into Twin and earth using the termminal block within it. I will then encase the cabling upto the CU. That should be job done really.

Any more thoughts?

Regards

Lee

Sponsored Links
Hope you didn't buy too small a box - it's surprising how much room the SWA gland needs inside when there's a connector strip in there as well.

Also some (e.g. Wiska) have ribs inside which interfere with the gland nut.

Hi

I have not bought it yet, but was going to get it from Screfix. I will get the next size up now.
Cheers for the advice

lee

I'll find you a picture of mine.

Did you post the picture of your CU so that we could pick holes in it?! Would you like us to? :D
1. The labelling is wrong.
2. The earths and neutrals are in the wrong holes
3. The mainswitch is chipped on its left edge - it is second hand, as is the RCBO (thanks to RF Lighting for these)
4. Sleeving is a little rough and I used black for neutral - I am aware this is frowned upon.
Anything else?? :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back