Self insulated lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i've bought some new downlights and it states that an earth is not need as they are self insulated, i'll be daisy chaining them together so would i be better using twin and earth or is there something better i could use?

thanks

Sponsored Links
also what are the regs for installing within a kitchen, as with the void above i need to know for fire purpose reasons.

thanks

yes ban-all, why do you not like them?

There are so many types of down lighters it is hard to answer. I with last lot I fitted first ran conduit on ceiling with Click ceiling roses. Then after the suspended ceiling was fitted I plugged in the down lighters using flex in same way as any other pendent lamp. This means for maintenance one can remove whole tile with lamp and do any work without needing to balance on step ladders.
GLAT13S.JPG

However where not using a suspended ceiling to comply with regulations one needs to be careful as in the future some one may lift a floor board and stick their hand in the void so the junction box needs to be of a type where they can't access any live parts.

It will need a junction box as although you don't have an earth now it may need one latter.

The 127mm hole with type shown will allow one to use a Click plug in ceiling rose however the silly little 50mm types are too small to get access from below and the only real way is to have a junction box which is not fixed. The whole idea of having a junction box floating in ceiling space goes against the grain and the heat problem and fitting hoods is not really designed to be done from below.

In a shop display the 50mm down lights look good but in a ceiling they remind me of a planetarium with little pin pricks of light and really don't work. Even when lighting pictures the lamps will not normally angle enough and pods work better. Also getting the replacement lamps with right angle of spot light means local suppliers often have to order you can bet the number of degrees spread used in design will not be those kept in stock.

So even in shops I hate the 50mm spot lights.

Sponsored Links
If the fittings are double insulated, still use twin and earth, don't snip the earths back terminate them into connection blocks, so you always have an earth available, if one day you install lights that do require the earth.

ok thanks for the input, we are installing a suspended ceiling as our house has high ceilings as it is just looking into the options for this, anybody have any knowledge on this? was going to go with the timber option but i've heard of better alternatives?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back