Connecting Electric oven via a 13amp plug

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
During the installation of my new kitchen the electrician replaced the old connection behind the oven with a socket and connected a 13amp plug to the cooker so it could just be 'plugged in'. He insists that this is safe for a modern electric single oven. Is he correct?

Sponsored Links
Usually yes. Most single ovens are low enough power to be fed from a 13A socket and using a 13A plug provides overcurrent protection for the relatively small flex to the oven.

I'm not so sure - an awful lot of ovens these days are designed with the expectation of a 16A supply.

But 'tis simple to resolve. Smiggal, what's the rating in watts of the oven?

I just checked on the Bosch website and it seems the oven is rated at 16A. Does this mean I will have a problem because the electrician has plugged it in using a 13A plug? More to the point - is it dangerous???

Sponsored Links
providing your plug contains a 13 amp fuse it cannot be dangerouse just inconveniant

You could well have problems. At 16A a 13A fuse will never blow, but the plug and/or socket could overheat.

I seriously question the competence of your electrician if he took an appliance where the maker says it needs a 16A circuit and he put it on a 13A one.

It's connected to the dedicated cooker circuit, but via a 13A plug. I think I need to get it changed...

Good luck.

Bosch are one of the worst offenders for not considering the differences between UK installations and the rest of Europe.

16A means 16A, so you won't be able to connect it to the cooker circuit - you'll need a new 16A circuit put in, or a small enclosure with a 16A breaker supplied from the cooker circuit.

It's already plugged in to the dedicated cooker circuit, there is nothing else connected to that circuit on the CU.

If it really is a dedicated circuit then it's probably already on at least a 16A MCB. If you can confirm this, it shouldn't be a problem to change the 13A socket for a cooker connection plate. Pictures would help...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back