price to install bathroom and tiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, could you give me your views on a quote i've given

A friend has asked me to install a bathroom. Its a small bathroom, wants basin, toilet and bath changed, wants floor tiled and walls tiled all the way to the top.

We managed to negotiate it down to £500 labour for all the above. Being based ion coventry, could you guys let me know if this is a fair price or too low?

Sponsored Links
Way way too low if you ask me... at least 5 days work there ( longer for me but i don't do them that often!) @ £100 a day? I know a polish chippie who earns that!

They want £300 to £400 round here to change just the suite. If you are just starting out you should allow yourself more time so you get the job pukka as your reputation will depend on it.

How long do you think it will take you :?:

I reckon it will take me 1.5 days to take out, and reinstall the suite, there appears to be minimum pipe alterations involved, so should be a straighforward swap over. The floor tiling i'll probably do in an afternoon as its not a big area. Whats going to take me time is the wall tiling.

I'm hoping to have it done in 4 days, with the 5th day spare just in case, maybe to do the grouting, put up the fittings etc.

Sponsored Links
Keep dreaming!small bathrooms are nightmare and the floor will plenty of cuts 5 hard days for beginner to do a medicore job at the minimum!

Never underestimate how long it takes to tile walls, any diy bodger can just throw them up but to get each one bang on to the next is time consuming especially if the walls are bulged.

Nothing is a straight swap.

What tile adhesives are you planning on using IronNaz?

Get used to using good quality powdered adhesive, and don't forget you cannot use ready mixed adhesive with large tiles.

Hi IronNaz

Does your friend intend to live there while you are doing the work? I had my bathroom done while I was on holiday and it took 7 full days and he didn't have to worry too much about tidying his tools and things away since the house was empty. I only had tiles up to dado height, apart from the shower area which had to be re0built using some special "akwa board" to tile onto and cover the pipework.

I think I would be happy to pay you nearly double that if I knew I was getting a good finish from you and you were working longer hours to hurry it through

Jx

Way to cheap, by you doing this job for that price, you will loose a friend.
They won't be happy with the job or you will feel that you have worked for nothing.

In my experience, I have found that only tilers are any good at tiling. Just stick to plumbing and you can't go wrong (that's if your a plumber) :LOL:

Andy

I would want about £2000.00 for all that, good tiling and finish plus putting up accessories is very time consuming, just fitting the bath panel "properly"
with timbers cut and fitted under the front edge etc can take a good part of a morning on it's own if it's a ****te flappy thing.

sorry mate, but its people like you that are ruining the business. thats in no way a realistic price for the ammount of work involved. im guessing your doing it for pin money as an enthusiastic diy'er? your certainly no business man!!

i think the most wierd things you get with bathrooms. is that the first part of the job. e.g fitting the bath, sink etc. gives you a false sense of security, thinking your on schedual.

then it hits home towards the end of the job, your way behind, because of the little finishing jobs you have to do. and trust me it dont matter on price. seems with bathroom work a customer will pick you up on every little nook and cranny. even if you did get paid little for the job. thats when the tension starts with the customer and yourself.

seems a bathroom quote suggests your also gonna build an extension to some people.
be aware and agree with a customer exactly what is wanted, down to the small details like making the walls good or painting, etc. p.s yes way to cheap.

If you're happy with a ton a day, minus overheads and sundries, go for it.

As Holty said, people have high expectations for new bathrooms. I do as few bathrooms as I can get away with, and stick to heating, etc. Most customers just glance at their new boiler, and are glad that it works efficiently.

If you are inexperienced at bathrooms and especially tiling, it will show in the final product. For this money, the temptation is to rush things, as on such a tight budget, there is nothing left in reserve if it runs on a bit. Belive me, customers will nit-pick a new bathroom.

Personally, if someone won't pay the going rate, I'd rather be at home.

:oops: darn. I should have asked you guys BEFORE giving the woman a price! Now it feels like i'm working for minimum wage if that!

Funny thing is i know an experienced plumber and i caled him asking for a rough quote and he quoted me 500 for the same job, so i based it on that. Maybe i'll have to try and bump the price up a bit somewhere!

Funny thing is i know an experienced plumber and i caled him asking for a rough quote and he quoted me 500 for the same job, so i based it on that.

he must of been smoking what ever you was smoking when you gave that quote.

i'd pull out - rather have a week off or take the risk that something else will come in. £100 max per day plus deductions, plus bits of sundries of your own you will use without realising - not for me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back