which new boiler?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, been hanging around for a while now, hoping to get some info on an old bolier we have, seems its well out of date/service so we are looking to have a new one installed.

the existing boiler is a thorn/emi apollo fanfare, and i believe it is now about 20+ years old.

we are wondering as to what type of boiler we should be going for, it all seems a bit confusing and we dont really have anymore than around £1800 to get it supplied and fitted.

we are in a 3 bedroom house, and we have an immersion tank, which supplies our hot water, so i assume that we dont need a combi? there is an existing working pump, and 3 way switch and timer (not digital).

should we be thinking about replacing these as well?

a friend has suggested we look at ferroli a rated condensing boilers, has anybody else got one of these that could let us know what they think?

thanks

Sponsored Links
a friend has suggested we look at ferroli a rated condensing boilers, has anybody else got one of these that could let us know what they think?

thanks

Not wise to install a Ferroli IMO.

read "Similar Topics" at the bottom of this page

Sponsored Links
for £1800 you could get a really good combi, you seem confused about combi's by saying you don't need one, a 3 bed house is perfect for a comb', it will deliver hot water as long as you need it, so everyone in the house can wash/bath/do dishes/clean cloths without waiting for the for it to heat up. then there's the saving from a combi, you won't be heating a cylinder full of water every day and allowing it to cool down if nobody wants hot water, like in summer, another benefit is you gain room because the cylinder can come out and the tanks in the attic can come out, a combi is a win win situation, get some quotes from 3 local plumbers, NOT B.G, they will advice and quote,

hi, been hanging around for a while now, hoping to get some info on an old bolier we have, seems its well out of date/service so we are looking to have a new one installed.

The existing boiler is a thorn/emi apollo fanfare, and i believe it is now about 20+ years old.
Has the Apollo Fanfare stopped working? If not, wait until it does before forking out up to £2k for a new boiler.

Changing a boiler just because it is "old" and a new one will be more efficient is not a good idea as the saving you make will not cover the cost of the new boiler.

With friends like these, who needs enemies!

Think they're dodgy Italian or Spanish kit. :eek:

for £1800 you could get a really good combi, you seem confused about combi's by saying you don't need one, a 3 bed house is perfect for a comb', it will deliver hot water as long as you need it, so everyone in the house can wash/bath/do dishes/clean cloths without waiting for the for it to heat up. then there's the saving from a combi, you won't be heating a cylinder full of water every day and allowing it to cool down if nobody wants hot water, like in summer, another benefit is you gain room because the cylinder can come out and the tanks in the attic can come out, a combi is a win win situation, get some quotes from 3 local plumbers, NOT B.G, they will advice and quote,

Depends on where they live. If they're in London, or the South East/West 1800 quid ain't going to get them a quality combi fitted, plus conversion of old system, plus new 22mm gas pipe, plus this, plus that and plus the other.

lol ok, i see there are some lovers of ferroli here..!!

as for where we live, we live in north devon, and the old myson has stopped working, in fact it stopped last year...!!! and we are not heating the house with plug in heaters again, still paying off the old bill :(

seems i am to stay away from ferrolis, and i might-might not be able to get a combi?

am having a read through a few other threads about what makes are worth having installed.

we (well my partner!!) likes the idea of losing the immersion, as this would make a lot more room for the washing in the cupboard...!!

and had not considered anything like that,, although the (possible) cost increaes are a bit of a worry, as i said we need to get something sorted before the cold weather gets here.

the old myson has stopped working, in fact it stopped last year
Why did you leave it a year?? If it can be fixed, do that; if it can't, change it.

we (well my partner!!) likes the idea of losing the immersion, as this would make a lot more room for the washing in the cupboard...!!
You loose the airing cupboard and you will have no alternative source of hot water (immersion heater) when the boiler goes wrong - which it will do.

If you`re on a limited budget,replace like for like.Get a new System boiler (not a combi)make sure to get one that can be tank fed.Get the plumber to put a cleanser then inhibitor in the system.This should be the cheapest option with the least upheaval.

thanks

They look nasty inside to those in the know, and the story is that they turn down the so called 5 yr guarantee on a whim, plus their call out time (and you will definately need them) is weeks rather than days even within weeks of installation.

I have fitted 3 to my shame, two leaked one made noises but customer sold house, the two leakers I fixed one as customer was a m8 in building trade and he was sick of waiting in, the other one turned out to need an entirely new primary heat exchanger.

~I'll never fit another. Only reason I did these was because they were (all 3) for the guy in the trade including his own. He sourced the boilers. I told him not to buy any more. He was attracted by the supposed 5 year guarantee.

You will find out that us independents are finding some manufacturers blaming us and refusing guarantree work unrighteously. We shall have to stop fitting their stuff.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back