worth changing boiler?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I fitted my boiler 24 years ago when we moved in, Its an Ideal Elan2 RS40 balanced flue.
It has performed faultlessly all this time apart from one thermocouple & the gas valve! I just give it the odd hoover out!
What I want to know is: is it worth replacing? We currently pay £85 a month for gas AND electricity. I know the old boiler isnt the most efficient but at at least £800 for a decent combi how long would it take to recoup our outlay?
Bearing in mind the life of combis seems to be about 10 years- if you are lucky! Also any ive come across are fairly unreliable with fans, diverter valves & pcb's going on a regular basis!

perhaps we should just wait until she packs up in a major way ( burst heat exchanger etc) before replacing? :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
YES I WOULD KEEP IT I WISH MY ELECTRICITY BILL WAS 85 A mounth

Ball park figure for install and commission of new boiler £2000
Annual savings on gas (if you are lucky) £100
Payback on investment 20 years. However before that event you will need to renew again. Thats after you have paid an excessive amount of repair bills. At the risk of repeating myself, you know the obvious one. Sorry mate looks like the PCB that'll be £300 please.
Oh and don't forget to factor in the extra electricity these new boilers use

Sponsored Links
how long would it take to recoup our outlay?
:

You never will: unless you live in Bristol, then I can come around on Friday and quote you for a nice shiny new combi, in glacier white. ;)

No seriously, if your system works well, just make sure that it runs as efficiently as possible, ie. motorised valve(s) for ch and hw, room stat, cylinder stat, programmer and plenty of lagging on the cylinder. A magnaclean should help to keep things ship-shape internally. None of these things costs a lot, and you WILL get a payback with them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back