Boiler/heating cover plans - are they worth it?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A bit of a tricky question for sure (because who knows what's going to break in the future) but in general, for someone who is well used to electro-mechanical work and can easily replace a pump, motorised valve, thermostat etc, is a boiler care plan likely to be worth taking out on a 9 year old conventional condensing boiler? I have BG cover right now that covers the boiler, controls and externals (pump, 3 port valve etc) but it's getting expensive. I understand I can't do any repair work on the gas side but can I reasonably expect to fix just about everything else myself?

Thanks for any thoughts.

Sponsored Links
If your boiler breaks down regularly then yes they are. When we moved in to our present house 20 odd years ago we immediatly took out a British Gas Homecare thing. Just after we moved in the boiler started playing up. The heat exchanger leaked slightly and dripped water on to the control panel and it eventually blew. It must have cost BG hundreds, if not thousands, to keep that boiler running. We were paying something like £20 a month. Rather than fixing the heat exchanger BG kept replacing the control panel. Eventually they said that they couldn't get any more control panels and we would have to have a new boiler to which we agreed. They came and fitted a Worcester Bosch and, whilst we have kept up the Homecare payments they have only been out twice to that in 6 years. Problem is that if we stop the payments you can bet your bottom dollar the boiler will break down big time.

Save the Monthly costs of these plans and put it away every month, only use it to repair your boiler, if it doesnt break down it wont be long till you have enough for a new boiler when you eventually need one, with these plans it says that you will get an annual service, you dont, you get a safety check as they call it, total rip off, find a local good engineer who will see you right when needed

Sponsored Links
kept up the Homecare payments they have only been out twice to that in 6 years
That new boiler had 5 year manufacturer warranty, possibly more. Your 6 years of payments has already paid for the cost of a new boiler.

None of the monthly schemes are worthwhile - they are just big profit machines for the companies offering them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back